I Forge Iron

How do you store your metal ?

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

"As he sank into the bog?"

you make that Thomas?  I've been scouring my local recycling places and junk yards looking for just that sort of small footprint store display. I would guess dowels or 3 foot sections of steel at a hardware store. Most of my scrap/stock is still resident on the patio where the smithy used to be.  Also keeping an eye out for some sturdy shelf brackets, or large plant hangers to mount on wall for the long stock, mostly 20 foot sticks cut in half, 5/8 and 3/4 square bar. I could forge them but shop time is limited just now and I"d rather be making stuff more interesting that shop furniture, though it needs to be done.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, we were on different crews but he DID complain to his supervisor and I got called in for a talking to. I didn't have to try to make him look like stupid, he didn't need my help. All I had to do was point it out. His supervisor knew how far the shop tool room was and how many adjustable  and other appropriate wrenches are in it. Lord knows I had to get approval to replace ones left where they shouldn't have been. 

I made his supervisor buy me a NEW vernier caliper seeing as the one dip stick used was my personal property kept under lock and key. I'd just taken my eye off it for a couple minutes. My bad.

I DID resort to violence when another dip stick walked up behind me and shoved me into the lathe while I was making a cut. I came too close to kissing the chuck and immediately after pushing off the lathe I gave him a HARD elbow to the ribs, spun, gave him a 2 knuckle punch to the sternum, and took him to the floor with a light shove and a foot hooked behind a heal. 

3 other guys in the shop lit into him for it so I could go sit down and let the adrenaline clear out of my system. Someone else reported him, I figured a brief butt kicking sufficed but it wasn't his first reckless action. 

Casual abuse of tools was the norm but sometimes a good bog sinking is mighty attractive. Too attractive

Frosty The Lucky.

Pick a nice slow bog, fasten a goodly sized cobble to their feet and you can toss insults and rocks at them as they go under!

Oilpatch was rough on tools too.  I remember seeing 10' of cheater on a wrench with 4 hands bouncing up and down standing on it trying to get mud pump parts apart---they had skipped the mandatory maintenance on it one time to many!  

Stock Stand; as mentioned previously, I found the stock sales stand at my local scrapyard for 20 USCents a pound.  Although I think 4' was the length limit in the store; I have under the peak of the roof to get in stuff a bit taller than  my 10' walls.

For smaller quantities of stock, you can cut 4 inch pvc pipe to you choice of length and band it together.  Putting the cut pipe into a 5 gallon bucket is a good way to hold it together and upright.  You can use rectangular rain downspouts to do the same thing.

It has been mentioned on the site to use the cardboard cores of wrapping paper in a 5 gallon bucket to separate sizes and types of metal.

Wow, following now.  I have two pages to catch up on...

It seems that I am not alone in having multiple stashes of stock.  I am on a mission to sort and consolidate my horde, but have MUCH work to do...  Thus, here is a small sample:

One of numerous stashes of industrial grade bimetal bandsaw blades 22 years of collecting...

20220314_190201.thumb.jpg.0c9118cb5672e837a69b274df6d62e2c.jpg

One of two old school Lyon stock racks...20220314_185821.thumb.jpg.bd2404d9e1648a5e7f6390a16d65c804.jpg

Second rack needs some body work, as the fork truck operator was having a bad day...20220314_185736.thumb.jpg.ba27b32e8ad87fcfe30c251a2907f610.jpg

Glad I hit these with a bit of Rustoleum ten - fifteen years ago...20220314_190118.thumb.jpg.61adaa6910157c509315e981d10441b4.jpg

A LOT of sorting and consolidation ahead. Forgive the redundant comment, I want to remind myself....

Robert Taylor

• 2 months later...

Currently, all mu stock is in a rubbermaid tote, or standing on end against the wall. I am just getting started again, so what I have currently collected is smaller plate scrap from work, and a few longer (3-4') cut offs of bar stock. All mild steel so far, working on collecting some HC. I will eventually get some sort of shelving installed and sort materials by size and type most likely. 

On 5/21/2022 at 6:15 AM, Wandering_R0gue said:

Currently, all mu stock is in a rubbermaid tote,

Mu is an anti magnetic metal most often used as a shield against magnetic fields on spacecraft and probes and incredibly expensive. While I LOVE a good typo nothing I tossed at this one stuck. <sigh>

Type faster please.:ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.