I Forge Iron

BBQ Smoker

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that’s not exactly a bad thing if you’re making long pork pies. I’ve got some recipes in my survival library. 

If ya haven’t seen Sweeney Todd, it’s pretty much the only musical I like. Grease is on my “I don’t hate it” list. 

I was going to post the original movie poster from wikipedia here, but for once thought better of it.  :)  I have seen neither, but I'm reading the synopsis on wiki and got to act 2 and it sounds worth a look-see.  :o

"Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable."

Arthur Conan Doyle

We have a massive collection of "Great Adaptions" we dip into every now and then.  We also watched the  1950 Jose Ferrer  Cyrano de Bergerac and  the 1942 Jungle Book---way before the Disney version, live action!  I'm trying to talk my wife into re-watching Zulu  after having visited the  museum in Cardiff.  That's a lot of Victoria Crosses!  (11 given out for the Battle of Rorke's Drift, where 150 defended against 4000).

I prefer the Johnny Depp version of Sweeney Todd, just has better visual effects in my opinion. 

My wife and I went and watched the local drama club at University of Louisiana Monroe perform it. They did an amazing job of it. 

22 minutes ago, Nodebt said:

Classic! How can you not be entertained

I found 4-5? Autographed post cards once in a flea market, from actors who stared in the 1936 film “Freaks” there was a note in the envelope that said they were autographed at a USO show during ww2,

I gave them as a present to my stepfather some years back, 

he passed away two years ago I never got around to asking what happened to them

Kind of the same, Billy, and not to change the subject, but we had a land grant for some family land signed by President Grant and it disappeared from my grandma's house.  Who knows where things goes?  I have seen the movie.  

54 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Cyrano de Bergerac

Also a good movie.  He played a meanie in Lawerence of Arabia!

I saw Freaks in a film class, now considered rare documentation for the time period.    Have you read "7 Pillars of Wisdom" by T.E. Lawrence?   Full of useful tips, like how to efficiently use guncotton for bridge demolition.  Also goes a long way to explain how the Middle East got so messed due to the Ottoman Empire and the European powers carving up it's remains.

I keep my eyes open, they are easy to spot.  There are a lot of old timers around here still that like to share knowledge and lore.  I met one fellow that will talk for hours.  And I like to listen.  He starts out straight enough but then wanders around everywhere.  He reminds me of the drunk in Twain's Old Ram.  He doesn't drink though.  Everybody calls him "piston".

19 hours ago, Nodebt said:

I'm re-reading my foxfire books right now.  I have an incomplete collection.

I found the whole set at my local library's annual spring book sale. They bought a new set to replace the old ones. I paid five bucks for all the books I could fit into a shopping bag. I got the entire Foxfire series in paperback and a few other books for ten bucks.  I've read them all but there's only two I seem to go back to frequently. 

Pnut

Yes, I love library book sales, it makes it hard to know when to stop though.  We had to many to move and so in the months leading up to the move we started hauling them down to Dave's Drive Through Liquer Store.  He was collecting and also selling them all year for the library.  A good deal of the ones I brought down there went right back to the library.  Dave had a huge wall lined with bookshelves of books for sale and I kid you not, as I was donating (returning) a box of books, I would usually bring a book or two home.  I'm not very efficient sometimes.....;) 

Billy, I don't know if it's still going.  I'd be interested.  There was mention of one on the last page of the books section under Foxfire thread but that was long time ago.  I'll check into it.

41 minutes ago, pnut said:

I found the whole set at my local library's annual spring book sale. They bought a new set to replace the old ones. I paid five bucks for all the books I could fit into a shopping bag. I got the entire Foxfire series in paperback and a few other books for ten bucks.  I've read them all but there's only two I seem to go back to frequently. 

Pnut

Let me guess...The Foxfire Book and Foxfire 5?  Those are the two I ended up keeping.

Michael

Yep. I read the section on the House flintlock makers quite a bit. The Goshen Historical Society School of Blacksmithing in Goshen Township, OH had a weekend course taught by Herschel last year. Unfortunately I found out about it too late. 

Pnut

On 2/23/2022 at 11:09 AM, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

I think foxfire still puts out a monthly magazine to don’t they?

They do.  It's only put out twice a year but the price is right.  Their website has a lot on it including store, podcast and more.  They have a Mountaineer Festival with a greased pig chase for kids.  Corn shucking, wood chucking etc....  The dates I saw were for last year so I don't know about this year.  It's in Clayton, GA.