I Forge Iron

BBQ Smoker

Hey y’all, it’s February and smoking an grilling season is right around the corner! 

I’m tired of messing around with junk from the box stores and I’ve got a lot ive material laying around so I was curious if any of y’all have built bbq smokers? 

I got some 16” water pipe that’s 1/4” walled, I’d like to build a heavy duty smoker out of,

i was wondering what size fire box and chimney pipe I need for a 16”x36” cooking chamber? 

I have enough 16” pipe laying around that I could make the fire box out of it but if square fire boxes work better I have 12”x12” square pipe that’s 3/8” walled, 

id appreciate any an all feed back! 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, I don't know if a measly 1/4" thick could possibly count as a heavy duty . . . anything. :rolleyes:

Actually 12ga. is pretty heavy for a smoker unless it's larger than say double 55gl drum sized. Trailer sized needs reinforcement but they have racks and hangers to provide that and they tend to be 12ga.

You do see BBQ smokers made from any convenient tank or box, there's a relatively famous one made from a propane delivery trailer.

Build the fire box from whatever you like but it doesn't need to be as large as the smoker. Largish is better, you can make a small fire in a large box easier than you can make a large fire in a small box. 

I only helped build a BBQ smoker one time and we used lumber for everything but the fire box and smoke ducting / stack. We cold smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving and it was spectacularly good. Hams and cheese were unbelievable and the moose jerky was . . . smoked, moose jerky goodness. 

We controlled smoke in and out of the smoker with a chimney damper and the draft in the firebox. We would've been happier with a smaller stack or just vent holes. We had 6" stove pipe so that's what we used.

I bought a BBQ smoker on sale a few years ago and it does a nice enough job but not as good as that cludged together one Chris and I made in my log cabin in the woods days.

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol Frosty, Ive burnt up my last commercial made one and I’m tired of messing with them, 

I want to build one that’s a lot thicker, On both the cooking chamber and fire box,

I realize 1/4” isn’t “heavy duty” for a lot of applications but I figured it’s better then the junk the factories are turning out and should out last a commercially made bbq grill or smoker, 

I asked about the fire box an chimney size because I was told there’s some efficient math to it, just like we advise people on hoods an smoke stacks on forges

Im gettin cookout fever and wanna build something  before warm weather hits so I’m ready to go lol

A great one I’ve seen is a smoker made out of an old water heater. Several tutorials on YouTube. 

I’ve got a Masterbuilt gravity series 550. It’s almost like a cross between a pellet smoker and charcoal grill. There’s a hopper on the side that holds the charcoal, and a blower that blows the heat and smoke into the cooking chamber. 
It’s digitally controlled too. I can sit in my living room and control the temperature and set the timer, check the temperature of my food too. 
Also, it’s been set on fire and came out unscathed. It was kind of stupid. I had planned to clean out the grease tray one day when I came home from work, but I found a bunch of chickens on it thanks to my wife and oldest son so I said “whatever, one more cooking ain’t gonna hurt…”

Thankfully, the gates to hades waited until the chickens were done and removed from the grill before they decided to open and belch forth fire and brimstone. Flames six feet high, cast iron grates were turning red. Had to use a fire extinguisher to put it out. 
I know that doesn’t sound like a glowing review, but that grease tray was full to the brim. It was totally my fault for not cleaning it out. I removed the electronics and cleaned everything with the pressure washer, now you can’t even tell it happened. I cook on it 2-3 nights a week. Cooked steaks on it last night.

CB95C8A3-A653-4AB0-B672-B02D478EB951.thumb.jpeg.cc1026e2115b7d881c3e5b821c5c5048.jpeg

Very similar to your situation. 20”x36” main pit 1/2” wall casing. The smoker portion is 12”x12” square by 20” made from  5/8” plate with a 2” thick bottom. The smoke box works real well and I rarely have to manipulate the baffle. 

403D97BA-C9FA-47B2-93ED-A688531A7B05.jpeg

I used to work with a guy that swore by his Big Green Egg.  He did well in small scale competitions and he always brought some to share at work and it was scrumpdillyicious indeed.  Forming 1/4 or 1/2 plate into that shape might present a challenge though.  I guess it don't have a separate smoke box either.  Maybe make a hybrid?  Or never mind.  :)

TW I did not build the main cooker, I just put the smoke box on. I got tired of hauling the trailer over to the house when I wanted to cook brisket. I will drop a pic of that one this weekend or whenever I get home in the daylight. 

Cook him low and slow.:rolleyes: Beginners, <SHEESH!>

I was shopping a few days ago and the most economical piece of meat I saw were pork tenderloins so I picked up a small one, the large ones were restaurant sized.

Last night I braised it low and slow for 2 hrs with onions and carrots, added the tater half an hour before dinner. 

I couldn't cut it with a sharp knife, it just pulled apart. Oh BABY it was yummy, I might have to dig out t he BBQ smoker once the ice is off the yard. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I've got industrial resturant grade motor powered one.  I buy cheap, tough meat and run it through it and use it for chicken fried steak, stew meat, chili beef, beef birds, you name it.  Just don't get your fingers caught in it.....  It would make short work of guy smiley there in the egg...