I Forge Iron

Winter Storm Shuts South Alabama Down

Randy Griffin

Folks, I woke up this morning to blizzard conditions. Thought I was going to have to dig my way out. Luckily I’ve got a shovel on my truck. Kinda looks like a whiteout. What would you guys from up north recommend? Salt my driveway or rig some tire chains? I haven’t measured the accumulation yet but looks pretty significant. :lol:

09DB2D02-386E-44E6-9886-393D4F99D735.thumb.jpeg.35163efff7faa478f9d3d758f5d7d28d.jpegAB13C0ED-740A-49C2-9930-FB0675B6769D.thumb.jpeg.d37fa1a858aa2fd01fb3d7cb79dbb271.jpeg

It look's about the same here in NC.  There was a bit of freezing rain and no wind and yep, the power went out.  I can't believe it and not making it up.  Back home we'd get 3' of snow and 50 mph winds and you could see the icicles dangeling from the power lines and the electricity went out three times in the 30 years in the old house.

When I first moved into my grandparents old house we got snowed in with 2.5-3' and I was not prepared at all. We did have food for the most part but we lost electric for over a week. Thankfully there were gas logs in the fireplace and that was our heat for the most part. We also cooked over them. I didn't have any wood prepared anyway so it was a blessing. Now I'm much more prepared. 

I've thought many times that some car hoods I've replaced at work might make good sleds. 

I spoke to soon.  The ice really is accumulating.  I stepped out to view the damage and breaking branches and trees sound like gunshots going off all around.  The lights are flickering now instead of being out.  Sometimes they glow eirily dim then bright, dim then bright.  I hope the bulbs don't explode.  

The weather guessers said we should get 1-2 inches of snow with this storm. Woke up this morning to just over 6 inches. Now the sun is out so snow blindness is a concern.:) Just finished shoveling the decks and walkway so I can get to the bird feeders without my boots. Ahhh weather in the Ozarks just wait a few minutes and it will change.

Oh MY:o! It sounds like you guys are in serious peril, stay indoors until leaves tell you it's warm enough to go outside again!

DO be very careful if you have to drive anywhere and I DO mean HAVE TO. Driving on wet ice or slushy snow takes practice and you guys just don't get enough to count.

I know we northern types like to razz you guys about what you think of as cold but ice is no joke. You wouldn't believe how many "experienced" Alaskan drivers hit the ditches and each other every darned time it snows let alone in freezing rain. Happily the last round of freezing rain scared the majority of people off the roads and closed the highway between Anchorage and the Valley so wrecks were at a minimum. For a change.

Be careful out there, a slip in the driveway can split your skull which takes the fun out of laughing at you. :(

Frosty The Lucky.

Took max out four wheeler riding an he had a blast,

then we threw some snow balls around,

then made a mini snow man, and smoky the cat came to help, 

then he decided to eat the snow lol, 

After running around hard outside for a couple hours he had some lunch an passed out lol

snows starting to melt here so tonight it’s probably gonna get icey,

Checked on the smithy and looks like the snow just melted right off the concrete, 

206E3466-D045-4AC4-B32E-F596346AEC6E.thumb.jpeg.c8a998ffc66aff8e801bece94e6f88f8.jpeg9464D6B9-2EE6-4044-B191-DC2E981AC652.thumb.jpeg.d9671a4b8d71ef7aa820b83d13cc848e.jpeg

I'm impressed, it looks like Max can bend his arms. Usually warm weather types bundle kids up so much they look like puff pastry. It makes me smile that you got the chance to  make a snow day fun for him, he'll tell the tale to his grand kids.

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol, it’s not been bad playing outside today around 25 degrees Fahrenheit, no wind so it’s was okay, 

We just put that poofy coat on him because the four wheeler ride was a bit nippy once we got to movin  

I was more worried about his little fingers getting wet from the snow soaking through his gloves 

So at one point we came in the shop and dried our gloves out by the wood stove and then ran out an played some more lol, 

Nice snowman Max! Love that the kitty came to investigate. 

My oldest 3yo is always eating snow when it is out. I keep warning her not to eat any yellow snow. 

We don't have much to play in yet so we are just staying warm inside till we do. 

Funny enough my poor Kubota is living outside in this too right now. Got more wood yesterday and still need to take the christmas tree up the hill. We are supposed to get up to 8" of snow over night. 

20220116_160955.thumb.jpg.3d3c6d6531cb6a492b6b9bbc8f75394a.jpg

It is coming down heavier now but looks like tomorrow will be sledding day and i have to work. 

Haven't run into gelled diesel before but my tractor barely goes in the snow anyway. I do have tire chains but no plow so I never bother. Having mostly all hill property I've been through the scary slides and stuff so even when it is really wet out I avoid taking it up the hill. Having turf tires doesn't help. Eh... one day, when I have money... lol. 

Man that ain’t no joke!!! 

I looked up lug tires for mine and of course being a kubota they’re some odd ball size, and cost more for a set of four then just buying a used kubota on Craigslist and swapping tires! Lol,

I haven’t had to much trouble with mine if I put it in 4x4 and take it slow, 

as long as I don’t have the loader weighted down to much, 

No lie on cost. 

I lucked out on the tire chains. Got them for $50. At an estate auction at a farm. They were too long but right width. So i removed some chain and made them the right size. If I get a bucket system or plow for it ill be good on the driveway and road.