I Forge Iron

Winter Storm Shuts South Alabama Down

Randy Griffin

All of that white stuff makes me happy I moved to the desert. It was a beautiful sunny 65F degree day today.

Das, we used to burn our Christmas trees in the woodstove. Let them get nice and dry, and they are the best kindling, and they make the house smell nice. Never had any issues with making the chimney dirty as long as you get the stove burning hot, and not running rich.  Dry palm fronds are similar due to the oils.  Great kindling to get things warm in a hurry.  Goats love Christmas trees as a snack.

I believe the last really good snow in Las Vegas was in 08. There was enough to make snowmen by the Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign. It hits that end, and over by Henderson due to the higher elevation in the valley. Once you got to around Sahara it was just rain. That year it lasted for around 3 days before melting off.

I've told this one before:  I was on a business trip to Germany vectored through Atlanta; well Atlanta got 2-3"  of snow and shut the airport down.  So we got diverted to Chicago. Chicago had 2-3 FEET of snow and it was business as usual. It's all what you are used to.  (Got moved to an Air France flight too; *much nicer food, wine, environment for the same cost as they were honoring my ticket on their code sharing partner.)

Got in the upper 50's today, blinding sun, low wind.  I was sweating quite a bit...

BigGun, usually take them up to dry on the burn pile till it gets burned there or whatever. 

I do worry about using pine in my wood burner as the exhaust goes up about 4' then 90° and horizontal for about 6-7' to the chimney then vertical again. The horizontal is easy enough to clean out but usually only do it once a year. The first vertical does get hot enough that I want to get one of those heat activated fans to circulate the heat to the rest of the basement. 

Anyway, I try to stick to hard woods but have burned soft and pine a bit before. The pine I have burned was bone dry.