I Forge Iron

Good morning!

TWISTEDWILLOW

Good morning everyone! I just stepped out on the front porch to have a cup of coffee and enjoy the balmy 17f weather, and I was greeted by this wonderful sunrise! 

So I thought I’d share it with y’all! 

does anyone else have pictures of sunrises From their neck of the woods? 

FE6CEDB5-D451-484B-BE89-A11CB512254E.thumb.jpeg.7ab15ab382c7ef0828b124d690b1fcf8.jpeg

We get the sun peeking (or is that peaking) over the mountains to the east and setting behind the mountains to the west.  But I'm usually driving and not picture taking.  Nice sickle moon lately though.   We can see the milky way from our porch; spent way too many years in cities where that was an impossibility!   65 degF and Sunny today.  Good day for the scrapyard tomorrow!

Can't see the stars quite as good as we used to out here with one batch of farmland turned strip mine when I was younger, now turned industrial park, and some other added light "polution". It still isn't as bad as in some more populated areas.

We have a place just south and west of town that is one of the largest commercial growers of ornamental plants in the country. When their greenhouse lights are on and the atmospheric conditions are right, the sky in that direction looks positively apocalyptic.

The best I've seen was at an observatory in the Andes in Chile at 9000'. (I didn't go up to the high site, 16400' at night.) Southern Cross, Greater and Lesser Magellanic Clouds, Coal Sack Nebula,...

Out here I did once read a random page in a paperback book by the light of the milky way for a bet once.

My sunrises are blocked by the San Juan mountains, but my sunsets are spectacular. Mesa Verde and the Sleeping Ute. Twice a year I take picw when the sun is setting at a particular place. No light pollution, so great stars as well.

edit; seems my smarter than me phone and computer are acting up. not the pic i wanted to send, but hey...  

2020-10-18_6_sleeping Ute sunset.jpg

I used to take some beautiful ones at sea when I was in the Navy, but that was before digital and photos of old photos don't look quite the same.  My best one was with a pod of whales in the foreground in the North Atlantic.  I have a that one framed.  Maybe it was a school of whales, IDK and too tired to look it up.:)

21 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Try a Google of definitions maybe?

Now what’s the fun in that! 

although i did read a list once that gave all the names for groups of different animals, 

some interesting ones were a murder for a group of crows, a congress for a group of baboons,

and my personal favorite, a glare for a group of domestic cats lol, 

now back to what I was doing…

Hark! a pod/gaggle of whales men! onward!