I Forge Iron

New Blacksmith: Having trouble with metal breaking...Cold Shuts?

After some research digging through this forum, I decided to try and put some of the tips I picked up into practice. I welded up a stand for my RR track as well as some brackets to hold bricks to my forge. A buddy and I lit up the forge and jumped right into making a knife while I worked on some more leaves in between heats. I was able to make a successful leaf in that time as well as not form any cracks or other mishaps in the half-finished knife-blank. Thank you all for your helpful input! Here's some pics (minus the stale donuts)

IMG_1147.thumb.JPG.93c53da6fbb5b12ab909d5f78828d69e.JPG

IMG_1153.thumb.JPG.b42a2ab753d757d0898b9b8a5bed4d80.JPG

One thing I have seen and am planning to do with my railroad track is to make the end into a die anvil (been awhile since I read on that I hope i got the name right) in other words you stand the track on end and use the round portion for your main striking face, and on the thinner portions you grind tools like a hot cut, maybe a bending fork, there's all different things you could do. Now if only i could remember where I saw that thread...

And, as twistedwillow said, that is a very nice leaf!

There is a fuller on in the web on one end and a hot cut on the other. The flange one end is the small double horn bick wile the other is a pair of turning forks. The end of the head is a 1-1/2x3” anvil. About average for the Viking age. One edge has a measuring tape. Wile a small divot is groundt into the face to aid sraitining.