I Forge Iron

Isn't "The Great Resignation" just Baby boomers retiring?

rockstar.esq

I saw an article the other day trying to make the case that all these Millennial generation workers are leaving the workforce to pursue their unemployed passions.  Down in the details, they eventually mentioned some figures for retiring baby boomers.  If you did the math, you'd notice that the huge number of retiring boomers pretty well answered for people leaving the labor market.

It leads me to wonder if maybe the real issue is that Generation X is so much smaller than the Baby Boomer generation that we're seeing an inevitable demographic shift in the working world.  I've seen articles which suggest that as many as 10,000 Baby boomers retire every single day in the U.S. alone.  Every year, more Baby Boomers retire in the U.S. than the entire population of Chicago (2.7 Million) which is the third largest city in the U.S.

What do you think?

I think you are spot on. I left the labor market in 2013, due to turning 70 and wanting some of my younger officers the chance for advancement. I also think the younger generations have realized that they are in control of the labor market, as far as wages and benefits are concerned. It would be interesting to see how many are still unemployed in a few weeks or months.

Rockstar, very probably true.  My son will soon become a commercial pilot and it is at a good time for him because lots of older pilots are retiring and there are not enough new ones in the pipeline for replacements.

That said, I think there are some very significant differences between the generations regarding what they want from a job.  This is true, IMO, between other generations than Boomers vs. subsequent generations.  My father could never understand why I would want to live and stay in the West rather than be in Chicago because "that is where the money is."

The idea of "The Great Resignation" or that all younger generations are slackers or otherwise morally failing makes better headlines and internet screeds than actual verifiable facts or serious economic/social tendencies.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I found a chart that gives the percentage of each generation in the population 

boomers 21.45%

gen x 19.71

millennials 21.93

gen z 20.35 

greatest generation .4

silent generation 6.61

they didn’t have any percentage for gen Alpha 

And it didn’t give a number for how many people were in each generation 

but I find it interesting that gen x is a smaller percentage of the population than before or after generations, 

Billy: Are the entries on that chart actually random? I don't see any organization to it. 

Every generation laments about the failings of the next one. Mom, my maternal Grandmother used to cheer us up after Dad gave us a good ranting to about how our generation were lazy, didn't know the value of a dollar, etc. etc. (He didn't actually rant, ever it just felt like that was the term to use in this thread.) Mom would tell us about hearing the same thing from her Mother and listening to Guy, her husband say the same things about the next one. 

My maternal GrandFather, Guy Beede was a Federal Superior circuit Court judge. Traveled from San Diego to Vancouver Island and as far east as Denver. He'd advanced to the position of listening to high class crooks lie.

Gen X is smaller because they USED birth control. 

Gen Alpha is 2

GO BOOMERS!!!:D

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol Sorry Jerry, no it wasn’t random I just didn’t copy it in the order they had it, 

it was a for profit website so I didn’t wanna post it here and I was afraid if I posted a screenshot that might be a copy Write violation, 

so I just bounced back an forth looking at it and then typing it on here, not in order, lol

my parents are on the older end of gen x, im on the older end of Millennial, my brother is on the older end of gen z and my son is gen alpha, 

I get along well with people from all the generations,

but personally I my votes gotta go for the up an coming generation they need all the help…. (and cheese snacks) they can get! Lol

GO ALPHA!!! 

I'm on the younger end of millennials. What's interesting about my age group 1995 ± a couple years is we were the first group of people who grew up (more or less) surrounded by screens. I think there is some debate as to whether this change was primarily a good or a bad thing. However, I don't think you can debate the fact that the change has had -- and will continue to have -- a major effect on how people behave, interact and develop. 

So while each generation does tend to dwell on the "failings" of the next, I'm inclined to believe that there was a more significant change between later-Millennials/Gen Z and all of the previous generations. Perhaps it's my age and I'm feeling the same "lamentations" you (or your parents) felt. It's certainly not the first major cultural or technocultural (sic) shift we've seen. However, this time it's different ....*semi-ironic tone*.

My younger cousins were trying to get me to do their TicToks at a family gathering last night.. I just don't understand what is so darn interesting about dancing and making kissy faces for hearts (likes are hearts) on the internet.. Meanwhile I'm teaching my niece how to text Abc on my brick phone..

Back to the original question, I think George sums it up well. I'll just add that at work a lot of people retired (some early, some "on time") during covid due to changes in the work environment and/or insecurity around their 401k's/the stock market. A recent article might be using retirement data from the last year or two, which could be an outlier in the overall trend. Without seeing the article I can only speculate.

16 hours ago, rockstar.esq said:

Every year, more Baby Boomers retire in the U.S. than the entire population of Chicago (2.7 Million) which is the third largest city in the U.S.

In another 20-40 years the same thing will probably be said about Millennials. Even if they leave the workforce temporarily, they'll have to come back eventually.

You're probably right Anvil, I don't know which generation is when except the much admired and imitated Boomer generation. 

Wait just a second there Billy, YOUR son? Adam and Eve being the first, ALPHA, generation.

I enjoy spinning entertaining stories but I TRY to observe the concept of the suspension of disbelief.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Randy! 

forget the smithy! I gotta watch him every where! :blink: Lol 

I swear he has extendable arms! He fast as lightning And he’s a lot stronger than I thought a 19 month old could be! 

He likes to run around my repair shop an the smithy!  and climb all over my customers machines and get into absolutely everything,

I gotta watch him like a hawk out here or he will grab tools and run off with them or pull something heavy over on himself or try to get into stuff that could be dangerous! 

that’s one of the reasons Try to keep my shop so tidy so there’s not as much for him to get into lol 

Ask your parents for tips Billy. :rolleyes:

If you asked my parents they'd tell you something like, let him pull something not too heavy over on himself. My folks didn't tell us we "couldn't" do a thing but had to problem telling us "NOT TO!" Don't and can't are two entirely different things and I'll bet your boy figured that out a while ago. 

Another thing Mother used to say when she caught me doing something dangerous was, "If you hurt yourself I'll paddle you when we get back from the doctor." 

Learning the consequences for not paying attention to warnings are lessons that stick with you. I clearly remember watching Dad shave and the double edged razor blade on the side of the sink. Why'd you change blades? "That one's too dull to shave but it'll cut you easy. DON'T TOUCH IT!"

As soon as he looked up to scrape his face I picked it up, sliced my right index finger and thumb almost to the bone. I realized something was wrong when blood started gushing, I didn't feel a thing. Dad heard the blade clink on the sink, said an adult word followed by Butch, I TOLD you not to touch it! He set his razor down and subjected me to some pain by washing the cuts, applying mercurochrome, butter flies then gauze and surgical tape.

As soon as I'd stopped crying he gave me a swat. Then he showed me the right way to pick up a razor blade or other sharp object.

Another saying of his was. Never do X! . . This is how it's done.

Frosty The Lucky.

According to the charts I have seen I am the first year of Gen X (1965).  My brothers are Boomers (1952/53)

I think the Millennials , and new gens have some great opportunities ahead of them when it comes to technology, and just their different way of looking at things. My parents were of the Greatest Generation, I was a surprise,  and lived a good life when a Senior Master Sargent in the USAF could afford to buy a brand new 55 Coupe DeVille, 66 GMC 2500 with almost every option, and a nice house.  Mom could stay home to raise three kids on wages that ran from $3.90 to $14.50 after Dad retired and worked Civil Service for the Navy from 67 to 87.  I learned my financial ways by watching them. Although lately I have loosened up some on my spending, and take some risks to make a profit.  Dad was an aircraft mechanic and manual machinist, as I am. I was going through my training when CNC's were coming into fashion, and did not pursue the new tech like I should have. I am not machining for a living today, but spinning wrenches, and making more than I ever have.  I am making 2.5x what my Dad ever did, but I am not in the same financial position that he was at my age due to inflation.  My house cost over 10x what he paid. My truck cost 10x the $2,150 he paid for the new 66 GMC, and my truck was 4 years old. I have never owned a new car, always used.

Now I have a couple of friends who are my age or a little older, whose kids are killing it on YouTube, and 3D printing. The Tuber averages $500k a year, and the 3D printer was making 7 figure profits after 5 years. They embrace new technology and run with it. I see projects like HyperLoop and think of what the future could look like IF, we as a country rethink how we do some things. I believe once the old fogeys, and fogetts, in Govt step down and get out of the way, things could get better. It takes new ideas and ways of approaching a problem to move ahead. As it is now, we just keep repeating what we have done before, and expect a different result. Sure, they may not be able to drive a stick, but I like some of their ideas.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Ask your parents for tips Billy. :rolleyes:

Ask them for advice?!?! Look how I turned out:blink: You think I wanna repeat that process? Lol

actually I do let him get himself into trouble because I want him to learn, and his problem solving skills are coming along nicely! 

but I do have to keep a close eye and be ready to grab him when he’s out here because my run down repair shop is dangerous on any given day for adults let alone toddlers!…..

but that’s a story for another thread… lol

Well, yes your children are your parents revenge for raising you. 

I didn't mean to imply you should give children free rein in a dangerous place, just let him take his lumps. Helicopter parents tend to specialize in troubled children, not always but . . .

Frosty The Lucky.

I forged a froe for my grandkids in AR; it was about time for them to learn how to build a fire; but I didn't think they were ready for a hatchet.  As a boomer I plan to retire soon; looks like I'll have to put it off a couple of months to get my dental work done on my work insurance.  Tuesday the Dentist pulled 3 broken and infected teeth and *then* tells me he can't prescribe any effective pain control!

Please remember that the babies today will be your Doctors and lawyers and plumbers and mechanics in a few years.

I need to write froe for kindling down somewhere. I've been meaning to forge one for the wood stove but never remember. I routinely split off corners when I bring in a piece of stove wood during the day so I won't wake Deb up doing it in the morning when I build a fire. A froe would be quieter, much more accurate and only require a little hammered penetration before levering off a piece.

Frosty The Lucky.

I LOVED cooking on/in a wood cook stove, nothing bakes like a wood fired oven. Even at -40f. I had to crack the cabin door when baking biscuits. It was great in the morning though, I'd put a wrist sized bundle of trail trimmings (tag alder and willow) in the cook stove with a shovel scoop of coals from the Ashley wood heater and go back to bed. About 45 minutes later the cabin was so warm it'd drive me out of bed. The Ashley wasn't rolling yet but the coffee water was boiling and the cabin toasty enough to get dressed and make breakfast. 

Come summer I used a 2 burner propane camp stove.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 12/15/2021 at 10:24 AM, anvil said:

naa, they are smaller because we boomers used birth control.  ;)

Good grief!  Millennials are the children of Baby Boomers!

Gen X's parents were the silent generation.  There were precious few of them left to reproduce because most of the silent generation were born during world conflicts when male populations were very low.  Silent generation kids had to survive pestilence, and poverty.  Many didn't, so you have a small generation giving birth to another small generation.

The Baby Boomers were the largest generation in world history for their time.  Their parents were "The greatest generation" whose adult lives were touched by two world wars, the Spanish Flu, and the Great Depression.  Boomers were the first generation where most of the kids survived to adulthood.  Average family size dropped after that.  Yes the adult baby boomers had birth control, but they clearly decided to reproduce above replacement rate because their children are Millennials, the largest generation in world history to that point.