I Forge Iron

ABANA October 14, 2021 Meet Johnstown PA

Boy you said a "full years worth there"  true,true.. 

I'm in the school and still have items in the old shop about 250ft away..  I'm like oh, I need a crow bar which is over in the old shop..  I start walking over and see something interesting or needing my attention (lol) and the next thing you know I forgot what I was on my way to the shop to grab.. 

Walk back into the school and do the "where was I"  and then oh, I remember now.. I start my walk again only to find something else interesting and the process starts again.. 

If I  take the same path enough times I have visited everything and then can make it to grab the crow bar..    Once this happens then I have to make it back to the school with a different view coming from the old shop to the school, so this can take several or many stops as well. 

I'm like a terrier with so many areas to explore. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jennifer, there is also the phenomenon of when you have moved, home or shop, of knowing where something was at a previous location but having no idea of where it is now.  I can recall where certain item was 3 houses and 30 years ago but have no idea where it is today.

There is also slightly impaired short term memory, e.g. "why did I come into this room?"  There are 2 things that happen to us as we get older.  First, you start to lose your memory and I don't remember the second one.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

It's also known that when you go into a different room your brain has a tendency to "flush" short term memories.  It's believed to have evolved to provide more  brainpower to deal with a new situation in case danger exists.

So I have a tendency to repeat my goal as I cross a threshold; it seems to help me.

That's called "transient" memory, it only stays available while you need it say "I want a drink of water." once you're poured a glass you don't need to remember you're getting a drink. flushed out.

The other one noted is "The Threshold Effect." Typically the usefulness of a transient memory is over once a specific goal is met. Unfortunately this is a threshold and your brain recognizes, doorways, gates, boundary between linoleum and carpet or just the next room as crossing a boundary and it can trigger the transient memory dump. 

Just standing up to do something is a boundary effect you're changing from one status to another and bye bye the reason you stood up. 

If I've lost the reason I'm "here" a second time I'll repeat why I'm getting up until I do or get what I'm after. What's really frustrating is when I find myself in another room wondering what I'm talking about. :huh:

Brains are funny things.

Frosty The Lucky.

part of my deal is.. I don't really care any more..  I have a phone and computer with all my appointments and if I go and do horses even 1 in a day .. I consider it a huge success..  So If I don't get anything else done in the day, that is ok. 

I don't mind being a terrier now.. 

Got a little more work on the brush ax done today.  eye is fully shaped now it's time to forge out the hook. 

20211105_164900.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

George sorry to hear you were stuck in the hospital.. 

It was a spectacular event and was smaller than the normal ABANA conferences with a tight venue without all the walking 3mile from one place to the next. 

The weather was great except for the last day where it rained pretty hard.   So much to see and do 
Double bit ax making by Jeffery Funk,  Ellen Durkan was there with body art, Peter Ross and Bob Valentine did a working post vise from wrought iron with steel inserts and brazed screw box..  The group of Meticulous metal smiths was there. 

There were instructors for the ABANA national curriculum levels 1,2 and 3..  The group from Black  Horse forge was there making knives.  Were kind enough to let me use their belt grinder. 

The competition was a smashing success with maybe 20 people participating 10" bar, 10minutes (cold start) forged as long as you could. 

I demonstrated "tight hinges",  5 layer knife, Swedish brush ax and arrow pattern thru cusp latch. 

I brought the trailer which was a lot of fun for people to see..  Lotta people really got it..  :) 

Oh, and there were sales people from the  "Fisher and Norris Museum".   Holland anvil,  as well as other sales people.. Oh and Blu.. 

Was a really good time.. I had an absolute blast..  

Sounds great, wish I could have been there.  

Not really intending to talk about it but I'll mention it anyway. They cut colon cancer out of me. Now I'm having to deal with chemo every other week. Please everybody do yourselves and your families a favor, when your Dr tells you to go for a colonoscopy get your butts in there and do it. Don't be like me. 

Quite possibly the worst part of it all was missing out on that fun gathering. ☹

George 

1 hour ago, George Geist said:

Sounds great, wish I could have been there.  

From what I can put together.. ABANA will be having a meet there every other year.. Or when the main conference is not scheduled so the "off" year.. 

Feel better and catch it next time around. 

Texas 2022 is in May..