I Forge Iron

New and looking for advice

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So pretty reliable then, two pieces of stock from the three I tested made those distinct grey chips you mentioned when drilled, the pickaxe and the odd piece in in the bottom left of the picture are both decidedly cast iron, but that metal ingot next to the pickaxe seems to be a nice piece of steel from the wire-like shavings it gave me, any suggestions on the cast iron? Ive seen something about "heat treating" it to soften it to a forgable piece, that sounds more like tenpering but everywhere ive seen the process they call it heat treating, but that i think was a welding forum (i am not nor do i claim to be a welder!)20211114_184259.thumb.jpg.9fecbd7125a9b8fbff7127c26cca0b0c.jpg

I drilled a hole through a mild steel tong blank today and noticed the shavings very similar to the pickaxe, I also noticed that while they flaked the same, the pickaxe shavings were a much lighter color than the anchor shavings (silver and shiny vs an ashy grey color, I'll drill it a bit more and post pictures tomorrow for some more experienced opinions

Sure thing. 

Tortion bar is always good. Heavier chunks of steel for bigger anvils, larger coil springs, square and round bar steel for usable stock, hammer heads for hammers lol. Really anything you see as useful/usable. 

The more you learn and do forging, the more you will know what is really useful and not. I don't buy nearly the kind or amount of stuff I used to at fleamarkets and such.  Either you dont need it, can make it, or the price isnt right cause you already have some. 

I believe this is one. If you use your favorite search engine and add Site:iforgeiron.com to the string like this, without the brackets (junk yard steel site:iforgeiron.com)  there is more than one thread on the subject.

This one you have to scroll down to see it.

That was a lot of info. But I'm assuming number after the listed part in the first paragraph listing the junkyard steel parts is the grade?

As in "Hay Rake Teeth" was grade 1095 and "Axels" was 1040?

This is example is from the second line of the first "table"

Still seems like a good place to start, I recall reading in a thread that a nice mild steel ingot would make an 8th century blacksmiths head spin with delight due to the quality compared to their pattern welded steel and wrought iron, just gives me more to play with right?

Just watch out; there are several "Junkyard Steel" lists that say that jackhammer bits are S7 steel; I believe because "Machinerys Handbook" says that it would be an excellent steel for the purpose.  However a former member here had a career of repointed such bits and he said that of the *million*, yes million, he had  done; only a handful were anything but 1050.  As 1050 is so much cheaper to use even if it wasn't the *best* alloy.

In regards to the steels in the 1000 digits, I'm not sure what these numbers mean? Is it a direct correlation to the amount of carbon? Because I've also seen in the 2000 and 3000 digits, I'm not trying to get a full understanding on the ins and outs of metallurgy on this thread (there are books Thomaspowers has recommended on several other threads on that) just a reference to help me understand a little better

Is this chart a good reference?

Screenshot_20211231-221157_Chrome.jpg

Happy New Year, Mr. Fang

Think of the Steel numbers as Vegetable Soup. The first 2 numbers are the kind of Vegetable Soup (with or without Parsnips, Cummin, Ginger, etc. and how much of each ingredient). The last 2 numbers are the percentage of Carbon, 4140=0.40% Carbon, 52100=1.00% Carbon, 1018=0.18% Carbon. The amount of Carbon controls the Hardenability (to a certain point). Cast iron has over 4% Carbon (completely different characteristics).

Then you get into the Alloy Steels, A, D, H, S, T, etc.

Neil