I Forge Iron

Favorite Tool Brand??

What's your favorite tool brand?

Mine's Milwaukee Electric Tool - Entry 1
If that's advertising (the hyperlink) please let me know so I can get rid of it. I was just hoping that everyone could check out each other's favorite tool brand by posting hyperlinks.

I've been using them with my dad ever since I was little and so far, never had a problem with 'em. Like them a lot. I'm sure you all have to have a favorite tool brand that you always count on.

I don't really have one. I do occasionally buy a Craftsman tool but I shop at the infamous Harbor Freight sometimes too. I don't buy anything electric there, though. Reminds me of a story: A blacksmith goes to the local hardware store and says he wants to buy a wrench. The hardware store owner asks "what size and which brand?", and the blacksmith says "It don't make no difference to me, I'm gonna forge it into a screw driver anyway".

Milwaukee and Rigid.
Milwaukee hold up good and usually are the most powerful.
Rigid are great tools and have lifetime warranty on a lot of their stuff, even batterys on cordless tools and brushes on electric, just be sure you fill out the warranty info and send it in, they will send back the info you need in case you ever have to make a claim, which I did have to get a battery replaced and it was easy and no hassle, that alone makes it worth it since most of the time if a battery goes bad your better off buying a new tool for the price of battery's.
Hilti are really good but unless your making a living with them they are bit out of most of our price range.

welder19

Edited by welder19

I've had good luck with DeWalt, Makita, Rigid & Milwaukee. Makita makes some consumer grade grinders which arent worth much but their high end stuff is good. The Rigid & Milwaukee stuff I bought as reconditioned from one of those tool truck sales.

I try to buy only good quality tools but , IMO, there is a place for cheap tools like HF. You cant expect too much from them and you have to know enough to fix them. I bought one of their Beverly Shears knock offs. It didnt work when I took it out of the box but an evenings tinkering made it into a very useful tool which served me well until I picked up a real B2 on ebay.

These days Craftsman tools are HF quality at a higher price.

Some brands of 2nd rate tools are better than others. I have heard good reports about Grizzly. I looked closely at one of their hz bandsaws and found it had bushings where Jet had ball bearings. Nevertheless they seem to work well from what I hear.

Stilh and Husqvarna.

Quenchcrack, your story reminds me of the guy from the hills that arrived at the hardware story to buy one of them there chainsaws because he had him some trees to cut. He bought one and brought it back the next day, slightly beat up, with the comment that it didn't cut worth a crap. The mood suddlely changed when the hardware man sent the saw to the repair shop to see what could be the problem, and his customer remarked, "what's that sound?"

One of my favorite things about blacksmiths is that they aren't tool snobs. This thread is a perfect example of folks giving honest opinions about both cheap and expensive tools based on their personal experience. Not like auto mechanics, who may not talk to you if you buy Mac tools instead of Snap-On.

Auto Mechanics: My son is in Tech School (UTI) in Automotive Mechanics. He will graduate next year and we bought him a "basic" set of Snap On tools. They all fit in a Craftsman 8 Drawer Tool Chest. $1750!!!!! I gave him some of my Dad's Craftsman tools in 2 smaller tool boxes and he uses those to do "Government Jobs" for his friends. Now, make no mistake, Snap On tools are extremely well made and beautifully finished. But a $12 set from HF will turn a bolt too, just not as long.

larrynjr - I check craigslist a lot and snagged a similar one for $60. Some of them take a lot of effort to get them cutting well.

Snap-on vs the wannabes. ;) I have the breaker bar and set of 3/8 drive sockets I bought about 82 when I started as a professional mechanic. There are other ones as well but those were my first. Still works great. I also several set of the low end of the scale tools. It is easier for me to drive a socket onto a vice grip stripped nut or bolt if it isn't real expensive. Same for heating and bending a wrench into a special shape for this one job. Know whut I mean?

A lot of my hand tools I've bought used over the years from junk stores, pawn shops and estate sales. The old tools were designed and made by the same people that really used and depended on them to do the job. Cheap knock offs seldom get the subtle geometry that really makes a hand tool work. The condition of a used hand tool is fairly easy to assess and if cared for will last for generations of daily use.
Inexpensive power tools do have a place. Few of us can buy industrial grade equipment to start out. If they function reasonably well, it's better to use industrial grade tooling ; blades, cutters, bits and abrasives . Those are the things that actually do the work.
Just don't think that that $200 drill press from HF is the same as the real thing. Put some sharp ,high quality bits in it and drill the holes you need until you can buy something a lot better .
If you are a professional, usually only professional grade tools will hold up to the daily grind. Good tools are worth fixing and taking care of.
Just my 2cents worth

To me, there's a certain range where cheap power tools make sense. A $700 Harbor Freight plamsa cutter might work just as well as a $1400 Thermal Dynamics. And then, it might not. I figure that if I can afford to gamble $700 on the HF, I can afford to invest $1400 in a Thermal Dynamics. Someday.

I can buy a $1 HF screwdriver and not cry if it strips on the third screw. But why bother when I can buy a Stanley for $4 or a Klien for $8.

On the other hand, I bought a $30 "heavy duty" 1/2" drill from HF for those few times I need a 1/2" hole in a piece of steel I can't get in my drill press. It'll spin the bit, and it's hard to justify spending $150 for a name brand drill that will mostly sit in a drawer. If the drill breaks next month I won't be happy about it, but losing $30 won't kill me either.

Edited by Mike BR
spelling