I Forge Iron

What is this acme anvil worth

Can’t tell from a picture. It could have a manufacturing defect, face damage, improper past repairs, or could have lost it temper in a barn fire. Best thing to do is check it out in person. Bring a 1/2” diameter ball bearing to check the rebound and a small hammer to check the ring. A minimum bounce of 7” from a 10” drop and an even ringing tone all across the face and horn. Better to be safe than sorry! Also, be wary of and welding done to the face or edges.

David

If it passes the above tests and there is no evidence of it being welded on it is a good anvil. The Hay Budden anvils will have a serial number and the weight stamped in the front foot under the horn. Of course Sears & Roebuck Had other Acme anvils made by different manufactures and some were not as good.

There was another manufacture that I know of that made the Acme anvils for Sears which were Trenton anvils. Both Trenton and Hay Budden are good anvils. Here is a good thread about the Trenton Acme anvils. The Trenton's were the one's with the weight and serial number on the front foot. The Hay Budden had the weight on the R side with the serial number on the foot. Sorry for the confusion.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/39066-acme-anvil-markings-to-id/

If I was looking for an anvil in my area and ran across either in the shape the pictures show, I would get it. I bought a Hay Budden 106 pounder in about that condition for $1.89 a pound several years ago. Everyone told me I got a real bargain at that price.

Not sure we can answer that for you. If the price feels right for your area and it’s in budget go for it. I already have two anvils in that range and I’m keeping an eye out for one at least twice that. So for me it would be a no go. If I was looking in that range and it passes the tests, at $400, I’d probably buy it.

Just remember it not the tools that make a good smith, but working on a dead anvil is not any fun…

David

20 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

The Hay Budden anvils will have a serial number and the weight stamped in the front foot under the horn. 

Hay Buddens have the serial number on the front foot under the horn, but the weight in US pounds is stamped on the side under the name stamping.

For the original question and why we couldn't answer without testing:  If I post a picture of a used car; can you tell me if the engine and transmission are in good shape?  Can you tell even by an inspection where you don't test them?

A picture can generally show if the anvil is worth testing.