I Forge Iron

Another what is it?

20 minutes ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

i thought that was a 7949 but maybe my eyes are off

No, you were right. Must be the July 9, 1949 model. Unless it's European, in which case it would be the 7 September, 1949 model.

4 minutes ago, Frazer said:

steel banana stand is pretty good too...

5i3fps.jpg

On a more serious note (although I better liked the other ideas, they were a hoot....!), I have seen items like that used by chain makers.  After making the first weld on the anvil, the chain link is draped over the "hook" and further hammered to complete the weld and shape.  I made one like this and it works pretty well.  I used a large square bar and forged the hook shape in it.

That was my first thought that it was a cobblers tool or some other kind of leather working tool, but I’ve done several online searches and I can’t find anything that looks like it, 

I thought the smooth back on it made it look like it was supposed to bend something but I dunno what, that’s why I took a screenshot so I could ask y’all lol, 

4 hours ago, arkie said:

On a more serious note (although I better liked the other ideas, they were a hoot....!), I have seen items like that used by chain makers.  After making the first weld on the anvil, the chain link is draped over the "hook" and further hammered to complete the weld and shape.  I made one like this and it works pretty well.  I used a large square bar and forged the hook shape in it.

I couldn't find the old video of the old blacksmiths using a chain making tool similar to the mystery tool, but I did find one by Joey van der Steeg (Technicus Joe, a member here).  It doesn't have a foot, but fits in the hardie hole.  Maybe someone can find the old b/w videos of the chainmakers.

If I recall right, there was a good old B & W chain making video on You tube, unfortunately it was removed from circulation. I had several bookmarked but deleted that bookmark. This is the only one I have now. It shows the bender if you go full screen, however it is made  right on the anvil and the quality isn't that good.

Randy, the video I was searching for had the smiths seated at a workbench and anvil, forging smaller chain links which were probably only 2"-3" long.  It may have been one that had been removed.  It had much better, close-up resolution.