I Forge Iron

Holland 100lb Long Rectangular Swage Block??

Greebe

On 7/7/2021 at 4:52 PM, Glenn said:

You are NOT spending money, your investing your money in projects that can make you money for many years into the future.  

Thanks. That is a good perspective, especially when I have "invested" almost $9000 upgrading equipment in the past week.:o

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, foundryguy said:

Friends have sent a couple of photos of stands they have made for the block they bought separately.

Could you start a new thread with those photos? That would be a great resource, and would also be beneficial for people considering purchasing one!

Greebe, if you want to see just how what your investment is worth, use the rent to own concept and set what would be a fair rental price per hour or day for each piece of equipment.  Put the money into a kitty.  Call the rental on the anvil $X.00 per day.  If you use it for 5 days this week, put $X into the kitty 5 times.  Same for the press which would be $Y.00   

This will cause you to realign your thinking to adding that rental to the price of your work, which you should have done anyway.  But now it is a REAL expense that goes with the project.  Does not take long to wrap your head around things and see where money is slipping away unnoticed.  Otherwise turn down the project, give the client $.00, and save yourself the work, sweat, and hours you would have put into the project.  If you do not charge them the rent, you ARE giving then the money.

Glenn,

Thanks, that is a good idea. I will have to decide the time frame I want to pay myself back and then figure out the hourly cost to bill into work. That is not something I did when I had my machine shop. I just bought everything and put it to work. I know that they were paid off many times over, but I did not track when they were first paid off. That will help for sure in pricing my items. Seems like pricing can be tricky these days with all the cheap sellers on the market. Sometime I wonder how people are even making money on places like Etsy.

It is not about paying yourself back, it is about paying for use.  After use pays for the machine continue to pay rent so you can have funds available for the next tool. 

It is more about not loosing money than anything else. (grin)

Beyond tools, do not forget other costs such as rent and utilities on a daily basis.  That goes into the kitty each day whether you open the doors or not.  They rent pick up trucks for $20.00 a day plus $0.50 per mile, plus gas.  What did you charge your client?  Did you add the cost of the drivers hours?  

All these are real numbers and real dollars. 

If you can afford to pass out $20.00 bills someone is always out there to take several. 

If you want to make a business of something you do NOT want to be in competition with people who are not charging for their time and may not be charging for their cost of equipment.   OTOH you may be able to make tools & things to sell to such people!

In the reenactment community you often have a lot of people doing stuff as a hobby and so they do not count their time, or amortization of their equipment into their "costs" maybe not even utilities!   They won't go broke as they are not selling as a business.  At most they will decide to stop selling; as it's not worth it.

That's true Thomas but Greebe's last statement was regarding competing with cheap goods on the market.

I rarely charge more than token $ when doing demos but I had a shop rate when I worked for money. Since the accident I no longer have the eye hand to be effective nor stability to work effectively safely in the shop. I have to work slowly and deliberately so I'm off the market. I'd go broke bidding jobs and It's be grossly unfair charging shop rate. Even my old out of date shop rate.

What and how to charge a fair rate and make a profit isn't easy even if you're doing work you're trained and experienced doing. Doing so as a beginner is a tough one. If you're good and fast you don't have to charge as much and still be in the black + but as a beginner you're not going to be good if you go fast nor are you going to be fast if you do good work.  

Becoming proficient enough to make a profit takes time and costs. Education is expensive. 

I'm not trying to discourage anybody from pursuing the craft as a business I'm trying to encourage realistic expectations.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty, Glenn, & Thomas.

I am not new to owning my own business, but have always just looked at equipment purchases as something needed to run my business and since I always buy in cash, I have just absorbed them into my business expenses(or as most entrepreneur do, I spend my personal money). Probably not the best way to run a business, but I cannot charge more for a product just because I bought a new piece of equipment. If I did that I would not get the business. This is in relation to my machine shop. I do add in charges for consumables, and overhead though. 

It is hard these days being a producer of goods because of cheap Chinese imports and every business trying to undercut the market just to get business. There are guys that have millions of dollar in CNC machines and sell parts cheaper then I can buy materials. They do this just to pay the bills and are not making profit, but it makes it hard to compete.

It seems similar in blacksmithing these days. So many hobby smiths selling far under reasonable prices. Like you guys mention, they do not consider the cost to make the product. Not only materials, but consumables such as coal or propane, electricity, property or rent bills, taxes, heating cost(propane), phone bill, internet bill, website bill, selling fees for credit cards, and on and on.

Anyways I appreciate the advice. I could definitely improve on how I do things. I am open to more advice by the way. Thanks.

Well, it has been 7 days since I ordered this swage block and I have not heard anything yet. I sent a message on their site as well but have not heard back, so hoping they plan to get it out soon. Would like to get it put into service. Has anyone had experience with Holland?

Be patient Covid has everything screwed up, it may be sitting in a warehouse waiting for enough cargo to make sending a truck worth it. 

Everything I've never heard anything bad about Holland. I know it bites but hang in there, your patience will be rewarded.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I will try! Btw, i heard back from Holland and they said they had a few issues with their last batch and recast more and it would go out tomorrow. Still waiting to hear what the deal is with my anvil from Morgan Jade. I have a lot of money out and want to see results though.

Any manufacture that recognizes an issue, then recasts the batch gets my attention.  A little extra time to get a good tool that meets their standards is not a problem. 

It is refreshing to see a manufacturer honest enough to say something had issues and is being remade.  Makes you trust the other products they make.  

No, I didn't say I wanted a reject, I was just updating the situation. 

He had some problems and was fixing them, and sent one of the new ones out to me, which I appreciate. Other people (cough, cough, China)would have just have sent out the rejects.

Looks like I should get it Monday which I am excited about. Thanks Holland!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 1:22 AM, Greebe said:

Got the swage block today. I looks nice. I did a little clean up this evening. Will post some pics tomorrow.

Greebster -- Inquiring minds want to know -- how'd the swage block and stand turn out? Any pics...?  ;-)  You like the Holland swage and new anvil...?

• 5 months later...