I Forge Iron

I am thinking I could turn this into a smallish stake anvil

RR rail doesn't take well to being hit in thin spots. You can cut rail with a chisel and sledge hammer. Score the line with the chisel an give it a whack with the sledge.

It might work for really light stuff like jewelry but I don't know how much you could trust it for harder work.

Frosty The Lucky.

It could work. It would probably only be suitable for small chains. 

I prefer making stake anvils from rr spike hammers. I just picked one up at the fleamarket for $5. saturday. It has the longer hammer ends.  I use a chunk of truck tortion bar for the stake. Shape one end of tortion bar into a spike and the other end shape to fit as tightly to the eye of the hammer head as possible then basically rivet the top side to hold it in place. 

This will be the third one I'll be making. 

The chainmaker's tooling that I've seen has generally been either a much blockier hardy tool or a heavy bar that extends horizontally through the body of the anvil. Something like a T-stake could work, but only for light duty.

Thomas, this one is a cylindrical one on both ends. It'll be a little different from the others I've made. I'll try to get a picture in the it followed me home section once I free it from the back of the trailer will all the stuff I didn't sell at the fleamarket. This weekend I went to sell but always walk around a bit looking for deals. 

I like that stake anvil Charles.

Nice, Charles. 

I won’t be making any heavy chains. The links I will be making for a schwenker grill will be very light weight. No heavy blows required. I have several jackhammer bits. One of those I am forming a bickern from. It should be tougher. 

I also plan to use some of my more “splitty” wrought iron to make a stake anvil, much like the stake anvils Joey and the Black Bear Forge guy have done. What is his name, John?  His was fabricated. Joe’s was wrought iron with a welded steel face. The Doc’s Hot Shop and Forge guy made one as well, but his was bloody huge. Mine will not be.

I am still bummed I was not able to see Joey van der Steeg and Brent Bailey because of COVID and the SCABA conference being canceled.