I Forge Iron

To fill a hole in an anvil face?

I’m new to blacksmithing. I was recently given an anvil from a friend which was all painted and rusty. I cleaned it up with a wire wheel and found a small hole from what I’m guessing is a welder? It’s not a big deal I suppose but it will get in my way. Also it’s bothersome to look at. My question is do you suppose I could get away with filling it with a wire welder? That’s all I have. I do have a buddy who could stick weld it if that would be better? It’s such a small hole I feel like just a fast little fill would be ok. Thoughts? SW Michigan

hole on cutting table. Fill or leave?

C1F71D61-2F21-428C-A1E3-697EDA892159.thumb.jpeg.d13ced56f30d642ffab5fa3f91d83ec9.jpeg

hole on table that bothers me most. 

600D4BF7-9DBC-4D91-ACE5-F717BCA6683B.thumb.jpeg.ca43e972dbf0b5eea84571b42c7a858a.jpeg

45C1ADF0-686A-42FC-B3D6-647A78EBBBF7.jpeg

There is plenty of usable face on the anvil.  Leave the holes alone while you use the anvil for a year (2000 hours).  By then you will have time to find someone that is competent enough to properly repair anvils and decide if the anvil actually needs to be repaired.

While resting up after a hot day smithing you may want to do a browser search on: anvil repair site:iforgeiron.com     Using those terms on google chrome gave me 1410 hits *all* specific to iforgeiron.com.  Perhaps there might be one that is similar to your case.  (Note if the name Gunther is not involved I'd double check on the advisability of using what they suggest!)

The hole on the step which is generally not hardened a wire welder and file will fix it (if it bothers you a lot). However on the hardened face the welding, grinding or milling will do more harm than good (see HAZ) so I wouldn't do that. If the aesthetics of that hole really bothered me I would fill it with J B Weld high heat and let it go at that, it shouldn't have any effect on the usability of your fine Peter Wright . As others have said, the best course of action is to just use it.

14 hours ago, Bud D. said:

SW Michigan

We won't remember this once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to add it in your profile. Welcome to the insanity.

Thank you all very much for such a quick response. I was snooping on my profile trying to find where I can add a location. I must have missed it. It was late here when I posted. As you can imagine I am quite eager. Lol

If you click on your name or AVATAR a button will appear towards the upper right of the window that opens that says "edit profile" click on it and the window that opens is pretty self explanatory. 

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Nice anvil, you can do anything on her you could on one that was shiny new. The good advice has been given I won't repeat it.

I do have a bit of advice for a newcomer though. Don't rush things, the only thing doing things in a hurry guarantees is making mistakes permanent more quickly. Go ahead, ask me how I know, I love to talk. :)

Frosty The Lucky.