I Forge Iron

wisdom steel anvil, good?,bad?

The cast anvils I've seen coming out of Mexico were at least using Peter Wrights and Hey Buddens to make their molds with.  The metal used was wildly variable as it was whatever was left in the ladle at the end of the day and of course no fettling or heat treat.

Yes, it needs to be a hardened steel ball to be accurate.

A person could learn to judge using an unhardened ball but why learn to compensate for a different test? As it stands using a bearing ball is in wide use, a "standard" test method and everybody knows what 80% rebound means. If you change the test equipment from hardened bearing ball to soft iron ball 80% rebound means something else and nobody but you will have the gauge. 

Think of it like measuring distance. Almost everybody on the planet uses either the Meter or the foot as the standard. As long as you specify which you're using everybody knows how far it is to Aunt Maud's, Turkey leg stand. If you don't specify you run into problems, a Web Search for, "Gimli Glider," provides an excellent example of mixing lbs and kilos. It's an awesome story the pilots brought a brand new 767 to a safe landing. A dead stick landing on a decommissioned runway being used for a swap meet that day. 

Sorry, that's a lot more rambling explanation  than you asked for; please feel free to whack me with a cyberchicken if you like. I can take it. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

When one says "ball bearing" i assume it to be hardened as bearings need to be hard.  I was hoping for the clarification that we really need a hardened bearing, not just a steel ball.  Thank you and I hope that the distinct yes will be helpful knowledge for others in the future.

Clarity of meaning is why I was careful to say "BEARING ball" the individual steel sphere, Not "Ball bearing" which consists of inner and outer bearing races separated by bearing balls.

When I say  "ball bearing" I'm referring to the second, a Friction minimizing device to support a rotating shaft in a stationary structure. And No I didn't look up a definition I described what I meant to say. Had we been talking would you have known what I meant?

For someone who isn't familiar with American colloquialisms and does a product search online, buying a 1/2" "ball bearing" as opposed to a 1/2" "bearing ball" can make the difference between useful tool and total waste of time and money. 

I know I sometimes come off like a jargon patrol officer and I don't mean to come across as petty. There are, last I heard, 56,000 members of the forum in some 150 countries around the planet. The questions we ask and have answered are going to I don't know how many million folks who don't have a clue what we say if we don't use terms that mean the same everywhere. 

I'd just like to spend less time describing or interrogating folks to have meaningful conversations

Frosty The Lucky..

ok so the report is bad, definitely cast, 30-40% rebound also wondering if it is a cast steel possibly as has a good ring from 1/2" bearing ball and the rebound was like twice my cast aso (15-20ish) still dont think will get

IMG_0255.JPG.156b74796b2dea9abdbaa68040d8dfed.JPGIMG_0256.JPG.5ff567f6c5b45f0f8f306c6541124985.JPGIMG_0257.JPG.b44035933e0d15d9278409a8a4e86627.JPGIMG_0258.JPG.26818c5e7b09f70446381fc3a7d84f82.JPG

on the plus side guy at store gave me the name of another local smith Pioneer blacksmithing he has a web site with that name as well and recently started a local guild so not all bad today

M.J.Lampert

MJ, I'm glad you didn't pull the trigger.  It had the look of something a bit too good to be true.  I hope that you may be able to hook up with some local smiths.  Nothing like working with someone else to learn at the maximum rate.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

7 hours ago, George N. M. said:

MJ, I'm glad you didn't pull the trigger. 

Agreed. The lesser disappointment of not getting the deal you expected far outweighs the greater disappointment you would have experienced trying to use a substandard anvil.

That said, the greater ring and rebound might indicate a ductile cast iron anvil, but without clear and accurate info from the manufacturer, I wouldn't trust it.

Good move, a real will come along, be patient. You got a contact and one that's starting a guild. BINGO, SCORE! Hooking up with experienced smiths will advance you quickly and with a bunch of guys looking, an anvil will show much sooner.

Good day M.J.

Frosty The Lucky.

yes i talked to him and he said next time I'm around his area with some spare time to drop into his shop also the guild is hopefully going to start meeting again in july at a forestry and Rail road museum where he is also set up to do demos

he teaches lessons but it might be a while before i take one as 550 cad is a bit hard for me to gather for spendin mabe after rhe summers over (theres also the problem of the class being 8-530 and 1.5 hours away plus trying to get my father to drive to the city on a weekend (my mother isnt up at that time and my father hates crowds))

M.J.Lampert 

Scheduling is always an issue. Most people are surprised how an easy job can entail nightmare logistics. Maybe he'll let you pitch a tent out back and your folks can drive at a happier time?

Frosty The Lucky.