I Forge Iron

Book Cover Sword

JPH

Howdy!!  Just finished this one..took me like 8 months or so of a lot of failures and frustrations to figure out how to get a good "wave" in a feather pattern..but I think I finally did it..

31" blade, double fullers, file worked spine..(wore out 3 files doing it..this steel is tough on files...) welded from 1095/meteoric iron and 1070..great contrast.. I am calling it the "Quetzalcoatl" pattern... hilted with steel fittings and copal grip panels..tuirned out pretty nice for an old man...  I am keeping this one for myself.. This one is going on the cover of book IV for certain..

Thought I would share...

JPH

DSC06898A.jpg

DSC06904A.jpg

DSC06905A.jpg

DSC06909A.jpg

Oh MY! Not bad at all for an old man working in his front yard.  I don't get the names for many of your patterns but this is without question. "Quetzalcoatl" It's a stunning pattern!

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello

This one pattern was a real PITA to get in any sort of lengths over say 12/14 inches..p;us the feather is wavy which poses its own problems as well....but I think I have figured it out.. I will admit this one came out rather nice...

Working with the copal was something very different from anything I did before, learned a lot there..but it just "makes" this piece work...

As for book IV..I am finishing up a few more sections and then taking photos and doing the line drawings..so it will be a bit longer.. This one is going to be a big one..I will say that and ikt will be covering material that has yet to be covered in blade making.I wonder how many I am going to upset with this one?.

JPH

Frosty:

When book I came out it caused all sorts of a ruckus in the "mainstream blade forging community".. Oh I caught a lot of heat and even worse.. But all in all...I helped a bunch more people that I cheesed off so who cares??  I sure don't. I just want to get this information out there as I am not getting any younger (been doing this now 50 plus years...) and while there are a few techniques I WILL be taking to my grave,  99% of what I know I will be more than happy to share (and if you can prove to me you will not do anything stupid I will show you that last 1%) as the more folks that do something the better that something gets... That's the way I look at it anyway..

Off to burn some lamb for dinner..it's been soaking in red wine, garlic, olive oil, basil, oregano and a wee bit of thyme for three days before it hits the grill tonight!! Opa!!

where is my Bouzouki??

JP (pass the Ouzo) H

I was just making a little joke about upsetting (thickening) the thick headed. I'm afraid I've never read one of your books, or Steve's, or, bladesmithing just doesn't call to me. I can do the dance but I don't hear the music. Know what I mean? From what you've shown us and what I'd heard of your reputation I don't doubt for a second the makers who were on top resented the heck out of a new guy being way better. It's human nature. 

I don't spend a lot of time at the anvil anymore, the accident put a damper on my enthusiasm but I CAN pass on what I know or think I do, to the next generation or two while I'm around. I just hope I have enough of worth to pass along.

That sounds like a darn good lamb pre-burn preparation! Now my anticipated chicken fried steak and a beer doesn't sound quite so luscious.

I'm hoping Deb and I get close enough I can maybe bother you for a hand shake and a bit of your time. She retired last year and we're going to do some snowbird RVing around the lower 48 a month or two at a time. 

Frosty The Lucky.

JHCC

Γεια σας ... Ελληνικά ..

Αν ναι, να σας συναντήσω

Τζελ

Frosty..  If you and the Missus ever get down this way you are more then welcome to stop by...just let us know..I'm easy..We are about 21 miles NE of Tampa on the west coast...

JPH

My great grandfather Strotis (Steve) Peponis was an ethnic Greek man from Istanbul even though he refused to ever call it by that name:lol:. My grandmother used to translate ancient Greek for the University of Cincinnati many years ago. When I was a child and my granny lived with us she would only speak to me in Greek. Unfortunately I've since forgotten every bit but a few swear words and simple phrases. Guess I should have practiced more. I was strangely embarrassed by it when I was young though. 

Pnut

hello,,,,I was raised in a multi lingual family...Mum spoke Kurd, some Greek and English with some Farsi.. Dad spoke Greek, English,  some Kurd, Afghani and Farsi...

My Greek is ok..same with my Kurdish (Kurmanji mostly..some Sorani..)...My Farsi is minimal as is my Afghani

Constantinople was a beautiful city in the day...but that whole region is topsy turvey now.. When I deployed over there with the NNG in 2003 to 2006 I had a chance to go and visit with some tribal metalworkers and all I can say is WOW..I was humbled by the quality of the work being produced using a hole in the ground forge and a sledgehammer head anvil..I learned a LOT.. Then again..as I always said..it is the craftsman not the tools that makes the difference..

JPH