I Forge Iron

Canola oil smells better...

Finally got around to chabging from used motor oil as my quench oil to canola oil. First time i used it today. I have to admit, it smells a whole lot better than used motor oil. And i didnt feel like i had smoked 3 dozen packs of smokes in one breath. 

Oh, and i made a hook today as well!

Since people are gonna think this: no, i didnt quench the hook in the oil. Im making a chefs knife and quenched the blade in the oil. 

20210329_150224.jpg

Good to see you FINALLY made the switch! The smell of burning canola oil may be a general observation but it's directly related to heat treatment. Playing semantic games with admin or the mods won't do you any good at all. Worse than that, playing silly buggers just to show you can is going to lower your respect with the rest of us who aren't silly buggers.

If you do a good wire brushing on the hook and heat it above smoking hot, dull red is too hot but not enough to do bad things. dip the heated hook in the canola oil and it will put a reasonably weather proof black finish on it. Anything around 400f and up will put a finish on steel of various darkness. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Im a semantics kind of guy. Especially if the reasoning for something isnt obvious to me or made clear. 

I ended up putting beeswax/linseed oil mix on the hook. I know the hook wont be outside, but i still wanted to coat it.

Ill have to try the trick you mentioned. Never would have thought of it. Thanks!

Fellow Denizens,

A good buddy of mine twigged me to a capital trick.  He scavenged used oil from some of the fryers at the local Tim Horton and Duncan Donuts shops.

There a lot of them in Canada, so he always had a ready supply.

Quenching, always,  gave off a pleasant aroma.

('odour' in Canada).

SLAG.

10 hours ago, BillyBones said:

As with all things bacon can only make it better.

Do much camping in bear country? :o 

I get my quench oil at the local Safeway deli section, they change fryer oil every couple days. I have a CLEAN 5gl plastic jug with my name and number written in permanent marker. I drop it off in the morning and it's usually ready for pick up in a day or so. I call ahead or stop by. Don't leave it there long. 

I was REALLY hoping for pastry oil but got: burritos, fish and French fry scented, shop incense. 

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, arkie said:

Frosty, for a minute there, I thought you were going to suggest bear grease (Do much camping in bear country?) as a quenchant!

Oh PUH LEEEEZE! Think of the logistics of having a bear in position when the blade reached critical. 

Frosty The Lucky.