I Forge Iron

8” leg vise

Justin Topp

Heavy enough for anything I intend to do haha! 

Possibly. The screw box hasn’t been welded or brazed it appears to be all original. but you never know. Works good and has a proper style acme thread for a leg vise so I’m not too concerned if it is a replacement 

Yep! It’s going to be put to work! 
first thing I’m going to do with it is twist one 1/4” bar stock haha. Than onto real work. 

I thought the 6.5” was big haha 

Turns out the threads were replaced. Probably with a screw jack as you said Chelonian. However they used all the original parts it looks like. They just brazed the threads into the original screw box. Looks like they cut the old threads out and trimmed down the nut from the vise on a lathe so they fit inside each other nicely.

So it’s not original I guess but the repair is very nicely done. It works fantastic and looks normal still so I’m not too bothered 

Nice chunky vise. It will serve you well; just make sure you tell the apprentice to not go hulk on the handle. tight is tight; and standing on the handle won't make it any tighter. And the heavier the vise, the more "inviting" to abuse it is. These vises are build heavy to handle direct hammer strikes; these guys are NOT presses :D

Early vises had threads brazed into the screwbox and that is mentioned as a viable repair method in some of the old blacksmithing books; so if they were done properly then not an issue---especially at that price!   If large old vises are frequent and cheap out there you might think of throwing a couple in your vehicle to sell if you make it to Quad-State some year!   Help pay for the trip.

yea almost positive it’s a repair But you have to look hard for it. One of the better repairs I’ve seen and it works fantastic. Not fine thread screw like many replacements. So I’m not worried. Especially for the price of this monster 

That’s what I’ve started thinking about. Buying and reselling vises at a blacksmithing event like quad state. 

Nice thing about Q-S is once you have paid the entry fee there isn't a charge to sell and you don't even have to be at the sales point.  For little stuff I put it on a tarp PRICED and leave a can for the money.  For big stuff folks leave it out PRICED with a cell phone number and a "call me".  Lets you have more fun at the event!

It's sort of a "cleaning the shop" event for a lot of people and low on "dealers and flippers".  Some of the best deals are when folks are packing up and don't want to take it back home---got a 6" Columbian post vise for US$50 once!  Of course if they leave early you end up empty handed... (Or if someone is selling high alloy drops cheap and you go back to camp to get your money and find the fellow behind you bought ALL of them for a dirt cheap price...)