I Forge Iron

Picked up a Hay Budden

Looks like your serial number is possibly "B8-----".  Can't make out any other numbers.  The last date listed in AIA for the "A" series serial numbers was 1925.  I didn't see any "B" series serial numbers, so they are most likely later than 1925.  The old HB looks to be in good condition, congratulations!  Enjoy it.

A better way to silence the loud ring is to set the base in calking compound. We did that with our loud Hay Budden and it brought the level down to be equivalent with a Fisher, one of the quiets anvils around. Just draw the outline of the base on the stump and lay a generous bead around the outer edge, any calking that oozes out can be trimmed off.

Try a carriage bolt with a couple of large washers and a double nut at the bottom.  It will not take away the ring of the anvil but it helps reduce the vibration of the anvil which causes the ring.  The round low head of the carriage bolt keeps it from interfering with using the face of the anvil or the hardie hole. 

• 2 weeks later...

Be wary of those edges on this new (to you) one. They look like they’ve been welded up. (My Colombian has the edges welded up, and I didn’t know any better when I was buying a few years ago. Now the weld is starting to crumble from cold working. Guess they just used a mild filler, but at least there doesn’t appear to be any cracking in the HAZ...)

David