I Forge Iron

Sol

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My day is sunnier now.  Funny coincidence, I just got off the phone with my wife and asked her to pick me up some metal cutting jigsaw blades.  I wanted to make a mandala out of aluminum scrap to cover up a hole on my hood, my plan was to have very similar arms as your sun.  Fine choice on the eyes.

Looks like a comet goosed the sun Scott, great expression I approve.  

Your missus makes a mighty fine minion IDF&C, it's even shuffling it's foot. I offer her my encouragement. 

Frosty The Lucky.

22 minutes ago, Nodebt said:

Now that I look at it that way....

Is that your next piece, a comet goosing the Sun viewed that angle? :wacko:

Hang it on the other side of the same wall, it'd be perfect.

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol, the moon seems happier whatever the case may be. 

Tho I deffinately see a moon in your moon, I also could see that shape and style lent to a whale, dolphin or fish. I like em. 

Hmm. They are kind of like the happy and sad face theatrical masks (whatever those are called). I like it. 

Thanks Deimos. 

The moon kind of makes me think of Ren ( from Ren and Stimpy) and Rens maniacal laugh.

14 hours ago, Nodebt said:

can you guess what those eyes are made from?

Look like maybe spurs from a grinding stone dresser? 

Right you are Das!  I think, Will, I should have added something in the photo for scale.  It's hard to tell what size it is.  Deimos, I was wondering what those creepy noises were, coming from the backyard at night .... ;)  I have a moon and sun, now I will have to make a star!  (or a comet :))

You do know that the Moon used to be specific to outhouses used only by women and the Sun was used for one used only by men. However the crescent moon became the norm over time.  (For other countries: here in the USA an "outhouse" was a small building used as a toilet in places without sewers or septic tanks located out in the yard behind the house...)

I did not know that.  The cresent moon, yes, but the sun, no.  Interesting.  I would be willing to bet that in some climes you either froze to the seat or sweated your know what off in one.  And look out for wasps!

They have portable ones nowadays... No moon and sun door markings, but they still stink. :)

Brown recluse spiders are the greater threat!   In the north I have heard of taking the seat in with you and storing it near the woodstove; or making a winter seat out of Styrofoam that is "instant heating" when in use. (And the 2x4 to use on the stalagmite and NOT for anything else!)

What type of saw do you use to cut your metal?  For me a reciprocal saw works for rough stuff and a jigsaw for finer work.  Most of my jigsaw experience is with wood.  Concerning a jigsaw, have you found the finer teeth are better or do you prefer the more coarse?  Your edges look smoother on the moon than the sun; different type saw or on purpose?

19 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

(And the 2x4 to use on the stalagmite and NOT for anything else!)

I'm almost afraid to ask, but I don't think for once google has it covered....

Will, I just buzz those shapes out of farm planter dics with a plasma cutter and then touch up the edges with a flap wheel on an angle grinder.  I was probably in a hurry as usual when I did the sun.  I'm pretty careful doing that though, especially on thin stuff.  I do use a jigsaw on a lot of my stuff and like a fine tooth as it gives me more control, a nicer look and less de-burring.  I save the sawzall for demolition purposes.  :)