I Forge Iron

Sol

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is thieving outhouses here. Lol. Must have been fun. Atleast the new style is self contained. Next I'm up at my parents place I'll have to get a picture and maybe even look in. 

Here is a pic of the spinning swing (not sure what the real name of it is.). Back as far as the 40's/50's it still had a motor to spin it. I've never personally seen it but we had fun on it as kids. Fist picture is a family picture of it in the mid 40's. Second picture is modern day. It needs a bit of work to make it safe to use but it'll still turn on it's own in a good wind. You really had to watch out for the old wooden swings when it was spinning. 

20181019_001543.thumb.jpg.adc3eeb03b6955413f8514874e87fcbe.jpg

20181007_185417.thumb.jpg.5386606dc71f107a79540f75c5689d92.jpg

They put motors on those things for home use?  Times have sure changed.  Your mention of looking out for swinging wooden seats reminds me of a time a kid jumped on the high end of a see-saw at the playground and I was standing in the wrong place with my jaw sticking out.  All I saw was stars!

You don't see many see saws/teeter totters around any more, particularly in public playgrounds.  When my son was small the only one I recall seeing were at the fairgrounds in Estes Park, CO.  Probably due to the injury/fun ratio and concerns about liability and insurance concerns .

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

The swingset has the bar for a teetertoter as well. 

Well I did land on my head once from falling off the top of the tall slide at the school playground in about 1st or second grade. Got knocked out. Sent me to the school nurse for a bit then back out once they figured I was probably ok. 

24 minutes ago, Nodebt said:

I at least hope it had chain gaurds!

Sorry. Meant the normal swingset not the spinny swingset that has the seesaw/teetertoter bar. Lol. 

23 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Always more fun with Alcohol available!

Seesaws are more fun with someone on the other side. Never tried using alcohol to balance out my weight on the other side. Hmm. The more I drink the less fun the seesaw would be until I'd just be sitting on the board on the ground drinking. 

Getting hurt is a very good way to learn what is smart and what is dumb :P As a kid I had a small bmx type bike without he pegs on the wheel axles. Only took me one afternoon to find out that leaning in the corners has to be done with the pedal up, not down.

It only took one extra fall to learn that even with the pedal up there is a limit to how far you can lean ;)