I Forge Iron

Treehouse Masters

Watching Animal planet, there is a  show called Treehouse Masters,  this refers to " Treehouse Z"  season 6 ep 4

They have a clueless wonder doing some metal work on the show.  After twisting the metal for making his railing, he quenches it in a plastic bucket of water, and explains he is annealing it to make it softer, Where do they find these people? Dont these shows have proof readers for accuracy? or at least hire skilled labor?

Nope, they're about wonder and awe, the head treehouse builder all but sings love songs to the trees. Most of the treehouse engineering appears sound but a lot of the decorative stuff is pretty hap hazard. 

Did the guy twisting the steel use a forge or torch or did they show him heating it at all? There have been some "wrought iron" things that were just bent and drilled. 

Regardless I'd love to live where trees are large enough and we could afford to have them build us a tree house. 

Good point pnut, it sure looks like a production staff decision.

Frosty The Lucky.

Kim Harrison, "Dead Pool" copyright 2014, pg  180 in the paperback: "as if a sword annealed in quenching waters".

General public is clueless and often rely on what they see on the screen often done by also clueless people.  Notice how the term ASO has really started to be misused lately? (Or smelting for foundry work?)

My wife has been teaching spinning of fibers for over 50 years now and her first class is just on terminology; as it's commonly used WRONGLY these days. Students are expected to bring a notebook and writing implement!

She has stringent standards for folks to get into her classes.  When I teach I reserve the right to eject AKA "fail" anyone who doesn't meet my requirements:

You must listen and follow instructions.

You must be safe around other people with hot steel.

You must be safe around yourself with hot steel.

Pass all of those and I'll try to teach you; even if your first projects induce projectile vomiting when you show them to other people...

It is not just tv shows, about a year ago there was this new article (on the tv) about kids carrying more knives (and using them ) then ever before. So they invited an expert on blades/weapons. AKA some dude with an army surplus show (we call those army dump stores), everything was a manchette in his eyes. And this was not some commercial broadcast, it was on the public television.