I Forge Iron

R.I.P. Seldon Jones

teenylittlemetalguy

Our fellow Smith and friend Seldon Jones passed away this weekend after a prolonged recovery from an auto crash. A Proud Alaskan Native and active tribal member.  Seldon was tall and slender with a long black braid, he was a kind, enthusiastic person. Everyone was his "brother" or "sister" and he treated them like it.  I am sure I now have many brothers and sisters out there that I have never met.  He lived in many other places than Alaska, so you may know him from Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri and more. 

Personally he was a big help for me starting out in blacksmithing. He would walk to my place and we would forge all day long, followed by a meal and sitting in the driveway talking about our plans for next time.  I would personally appreciate it if you would give him Three rings on your anvil to send him on his way.

Till we meet again Brother, Godspeed.   

FB_IMG_1613345955541.jpg

Emmert would use the bounce back from hitting the anvil to produce a fast stutter tap ending with two distinct taps on the horn--a recognizable "shave and a hair cut 2 bits"   He was in his 90's when he taught it to me at the Studebaker blacksmith shop.  Yup *those* Studebakers!

Well, I did.  I had to use a claw hammer as my junk is packed away and my new to me anvil is sitting on the basement floor waiting to be moved cross country.   I guess it's the thought that counts.  It's the first time I ever hit a real anvil actually.  It's hard to lose a friend.

Scott.

I just got home from a necessary run to the store and saw this. 

Seldon was a great guy, always smiling and happy, just a great guy. Our crazy friendly Icelandic sheepdog Falki loved Seldon at first sight and followed him like they were twins or something. Seldon took so much joy returning the attention it was a conversation stopper. Of all my good memories I think remembering Falki in Seldon's lap being loved on and both of them looking so goofy dopey happy is how I'll ease the pain of Seldon's passing for now.

It's how I'll remember him I think. I think I'll go out and give him a ring now.

See you on the flip side Brother.

Frosty The Lucky.

I just told Deb about Seldon's passing and she's taking it hard and told me again what made him so special to her.

When I was in the critical care from the tree accident Seldon was always ready to talk or just listen to her. She'd been adopted by a married couple that worked at the hospital who took good care of her, got her a room, cut red tape and checked in on her and I regularly. They worked the same shift and when they were off, Seldon was always available. Deb's Sisters talked her into a Facebook account where her family communicated and at any time Deb could message Seldon and he was there to listen, talk, encourage, hold her together. 

Others visited helped Deb as they could but Seldon was ALWAYS available and spent hours, sometimes all night listening to anything she needed to say and talking to her, keeping her together. 

Seldon is the inspiration for Deb naming my blacksmith friends and acquaintances her, "Hairy Faced Blacksmith Angels." A lot of the Iforge gang are among those who helped her get through it. 

I walked out to give Seldon a ring and gave Thomas's "Shave and a haircut" a try. Amazing, worked the first time and I discovered it worked a LOT better on the horn than anywhere else. Was that the "Studebaker Dave" I've heard of. Thomas? 

It's so like Seldon, try something new with him around and enjoy success first try. It made me feel close. I think Deb's right, Seldon's been an angel all along doing good just being Seldon. 

I'm feeling really conflicted. Seldon has been in constant and increasingly severe, crippling, pain since the accident. As much as I feel his loss, he doesn't hurt anymore, for which I'm more glad than I can describe. He stands straight and tall, strong and vigorous. Our old Seldon.

I'm all misty eyed now.

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't believe so, Emmert Studebaker lived his life around Tipton Ohio and was a founder of SOFA , and ABANA.  My wife met him several times and considered him an "old school Gentleman".   The Studebaker family association held meetings at his collection of log cabins and other buildings that housed his collection of *running* Studebakers---including a Weasel built under license in Sweden during WWII---IIRC.)  I remember when Quad-States were held at his place and I'd go to sleep listening to the powerhammers running into the night---25# ding ding ding; 100# Whomp Whomp Whomp and the air hammer hungh-whomp hungh-whomp hungh-whomp.

As Emmert was getting frail; the club and Emmert realized that he was the only one that could attest to what was owned by the club and what was owned by the Studebakers and  oversaw the clubs transition to a custom built building on the Miami County Fairgrounds to avoid issues later.  A kind and wise gentleman!

22 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Emmert would use the bounce back from hitting the anvil to produce a fast stutter tap ending with two distinct taps on the horn--a recognizable "shave and a hair cut 2 bits"   He was in his 90's when he taught it to me at the Studebaker blacksmith shop.  Yup *those* Studebakers!

Thank you Thomas, I will give that a try. 

21 hours ago, Nodebt said:

Well, I did.  I had to use a claw hammer as my junk is packed away and my new to me anvil is sitting on the basement floor waiting to be moved cross country.   I guess it's the thought that counts.  It's the first time I ever hit a real anvil actually.  It's hard to lose a friend.

Scott.

Seldon would have approved, Scott. Good luck with the move. 

Yeah, Frosty he was such a good guy it really hurts. Give Deb a squeeze from us. 

Thank you all! 

Different man, I've heard reference to Studebaker Dave for years, he lived on the west coast and had a thing for Studebakers owned hundreds and restored them till near the end. He was a member, maybe a founding member of the CBA. 

Will do Tristan, squeezing Deb is one of my specialties. Seldon would grin in that way of his.

Frosty The Lucky.