I Forge Iron

Wet JABOD

It stormed last night, and while I haven't been out yet today I know my forge is a mud puddle right now. I plan to do some work on wednesday, but now I'm not sure if I can. Can I just light it while wet? I know water can cause explosions in like casting and stuff, and am worried that it might happen here. Should I be worried about it? If I cannot use it wet, what are some ways I could either dry it out or just replace the mud now? I'm at school and cant post a picture now, but I will when I'm home. 

We got part of that storm our selves, the sort answer is it depends on what kind of dirt is in your box. Hugh clay content is going to crack and spalled put as the matrix isn’t trying enough it’s unlikely the steam will reach high enough pressure to explode and send shrapnel everywhere. 

Damp is ok, the first Just a box of dirt was clay about the consistency of modeling clay when I lit it, 

56 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Covering the forge with a trash bag or tarp may be the answer for the future.

Yeah I’ve normally kept a tarp on it, but it didn’t like the sun and the last time I took it off it just frayed to bits in my hands.

Ok, I figured it wouldn’t just wanted to check and make sure before I did it and blew up a forge in my face. 

I don’t think there’s enough clay content for it to crack.

That is exactly what i did. I even built my gasser to fit inside of that same grill so i could keep it out side. It then became a coal burner for a while, kind of a hybrid JABOD brake drum forge. It still sits by the shop and could be fired up with just a few minutes of work. 

Note the two best times to find old grills being discarded are in the fall when folks decide not to store it over the winter and in the spring when folks decide they need a new one---especially for the holidays like Memorial Day and 4th of July here in the USA,

When I lived in Columbus Ohio, I was within walking distance to a "historical district" meaning brick streets, brick houses, slate roof and NO storage space!  It was also pretty well to do and some folks would buy a new grill every spring and junk it in the fall---often with full propane tanks!  (Why I ended up with 5 tanks.)  I counted 5 gas grills at the scrap yard down here last visit.  No tanks of course.

In terms of a good rain cover for a JABOB, or JABOM, I have found that the 3x4 foot Steel or Aluminum drip pans from the auto parts store, to protect your driveway from oil leaks (or cars "marking their territory")  make great forge covers, often with a lot of overhang and pretty easy on and off.