I Forge Iron

Finally thought id do this...

Dewnmoutain

Been on this website now for a few months, and was cruising through here when i came across this section. I had seen it before and at the time thought "i'll get to that in a bit" and then forgot about it. until today...

So, The name's Adam, and I'm from Northeastern Wisconsin, near Green Bay. Been hammering for roughly 5 years, and pretty much self taught on everything. I have taken a couple of classes on blacksmithing, one where i learned how to make a bottle opener (which, to be honest, was kind of a let down, not because of what was taught, but because there was 5 people to an anvil, which made it difficult to really do anything), and the second from a professional blacksmith (who had a very full opinion about himself) in a weekend class.  I also took a damsacus bladesmithing class because i attempted pattern welding, and it failed horribly. 

I am an Army vet, and deployed to Iraq 08-09. (sucked. dont recommend the trip). As a result of that, i suffer from PTSD, which one of the side effects for me is limited mental capacity. I get frustrated when something that should be easy doesnt come together, or it takes a very long time for me to accomplish and looks like crap. (Like making leaves or spade points. Should be easy, but for reasons i still havent been able to figure out, the leaves look lop-sided. ) Another side effect is my people skills are not very good, which is fine when im alone in my shop, but interactions both in person and online leave something to be desired. (So i am giving everyone a preemptive 'Im Sorry' right now) 

I am trying to improve upon my craft. i know it's slow going for someone with my mental issues, but it is very frustrating, especially when i see someone who says "hey, i only started last month and look what i make" and it's something that i would eat my liver to be able to make. 

For myself, i know that i learn best in a classroom, watching someone do something and asking "hey, why did you do it that way?". I hope to be able to attend some more classroom training in the near future. Youtube is ok, but it's hard to ask questions.

i guess that's why i like this website. I can ask questions and do get answers. heck, i even learn more than i intended to in some instances. (I still need to try that bending trick Glenn told me, with using sockets as a bend radius. Blew my mind when he told me that) So thanks for the help!

not sure what else to say...

A belated welcome aboard.

We have many veterans on the site (myself included) USCG '64-'70 Vietnam era. We also have a lot of folks in your situation, due to many things but TBI is one along with PTSD. We have found hammering on red hot steel is very therapeutic. Get it hot and hit it hard is a motto. I still learn things after 30+ years (on & off) at the anvil and am far from where some are even after a short time at the craft but I try not to let it bother me.

Off kilter leaves often translate into off kilter knife blades. One side is getting hit differently than the other,  (Astigmatism  can cause problems too.) Luckily a lot of leaves grow off kilter naturally)

What else to say?  Tell us about your forge, anvil, other tools; how is your forge set up; what you hope to make form Christmas presents?  Have you met my Friend Patrick a smith down by Janesville?  What's the weather like?  (Hot and sunny down here for the next week finally cool down a bit for Turkey Day...)

I wasn't in the service but I have bounce tested my noggin due to diabetes issues, (Insulin crashes, 2 concussions about a month apart.)  Pretty friendly group as long as you don't take folks answering questions for granted or take advantage of them.  Got a paper notebook to write stuff down in; both at the anvil and the keyboard?  Funny I can remember tiny details in 100 year old books at times but can't remember the name of the person I shook hands with 15 minutes ago...

'Nuff said.

Hoah! Sgt welsh, Joel E. 4th Inf Div. 

I've got two tours in the sandbox myself with similar personality results brother... so, some of us understand. The thing to remember is that this is a kid friendly forumn, with a wide range of talents, skills, and nationalities. I try to remember to act as though I'm conversing with my wife or daughter- and I usually do well. But, yep... my vet humor rears it head here & there. Lol.

This hobby/lifestyle/undertaking/job is a great therapy for those like us. Don't give into motivation loss, or get complacent with it... it will reward your hard work.

Additional belated welcome aboard.

Cuz Thomas asked

I have a coal forge. Love it. Worked with a gas forge couple times, and im a bit iffy with it. Building my own scares the xxxx out of me, and i cant justify the cost of buying one.

Anvil is a 120lb peddinghouse that is in desperate need of a grind job. I have a little belly in the center that is annoying me, and the edges are too rounded for a good cornering.

I have a 2lb hammer that is my absoulte fav to work with.  Got it in a estate sale and it just sat in the bottom of a bag for a couple years until i decided to try out handling a hammer. 

For presents...i was hoping to have started making axes for everyone. But my ollie hammer, and winterizing the shop so it doesnt snow inside the shop, took precedence. Tomorrow i plan to start making the drift for the axe head.

Havent met patrick yet...kind of requires me to leave my house, and i still have issues with that. 

Snowed today. So thats cool. I love snow. 

Adam:  Good to know some more about you bro.  IFI is one place where you aren't alone which is important in this time of pandemic and is a safe space for folk who don't feel safe other places.   Eventually, the trauma will fade into the background.  It did for me.  I've mentioned my military background before, most recently in the Veteran's Day thread. So, I don't need to repeat it here other than to say that I've seen the elephant, too.

As far as learning the only thing I can recommend is that if you read or see something done then do it yourself as soon as possible.  You want to develop muscle memory for a task.  It lasts better than mental memory.  Also, keep a bench book or journal where you write instructions and notes to your future self.  You might make something today that you like but will you remember how to do it 5 or 10 years from now?  You can't put in too many details.  Think of it as sending messages to yourself down the time stream.

Unfortunately, we're 1100 miles apart or I would invite you to come hit hot iron with me (once we're past covid) or make a house call to you if that made you more comfortable.

As Irondragon said, hitting hot iron is great therapy for whatever ails you.

BTW, are you getting VA disability?  If not, I may be able to help you with the process.  If you haven't picked it up from my posts I am an attorney as well as a vet and a smith.  Feel free to PM me.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Afternoon Adam, good to get to know you a little. I'm a severe TBI survivor myself so we share some issues. Frustration can be a tough one to deal with but I have anger issues too. I try to never hit submit when I'm angry I almost always regret it if I do.

I didn't serve, I didn't want to go to Vietnam and the draft didn't select me. 

Everybody here has issues, some similar some beyond human understanding, I don't even try on the later. Don't sweat the issues, we're good with it so long as you don't call folks names, use foul language or preach a faith, it's all good. 

Another thing that makes blacksmithing good PTSD therapy, it isn't a competition, it's just what you envision, the steel, fire, anvil and tools. If it comes out like you envisioned too cool for words, please feel free to brag you've earned it! If not what you did made what you have now, remember what you did this . . . THING might be exactly what you want or need another time. This is one place a notebook comes in handy. 

The big thing to remember is you aren't competing with anybody else. You only see competitions at club meets or conferences, say a couple farriers bet a beer on who can make a bar shoe fastest or the fewest heats, etc. There's always somebody better and many more who aren't as good as you. Yeah, there are literally BILLIONS of people who are nowhere near as good at blacksmithing as you are and they never will be.

No joke, it's the truth. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning Adam,

Welcome to Glenn's Favorite Place (sometimes).

I haven't had PTSD but I probably had close to it. I was in a motor vehicle accident in 1981 that somehow, I lived. Multiple fractures of the noggin, sure took a long time to settle my temperment, maybe I'm still not right. Maybe I am. I don't think I go off like a fire-cracker, as much as I used to.

When you want to learn how to do something, use Plasticene, Play-Doh or Modeling Clay. They work exactly like Hot Metal, but you can you can use your hands. They work exactly the same with Hammer and Anvil as well, almost to the Hammer stroke. The hardest thing is to learn to loosen up your body, when you are Forging. Don't squeeze your Tools, like you are choking them. Sure, sometimes things fly out of your Tongs, So What, who is watching. Pick it up and get back at it!!

Start with simple goals. Learn to make your Tools. Hang them on the wall, so you can see them. Look back in a year or so, You can say "That is where I have come from!!", Look at me now!! Start with simple S-Hooks, any size. Pick your material off the floor or from your scrap pile (if you don't have one, you will) and make them as tiddly as you can, with care. You can hang all kinds of trinkets, using S-Hooks. It also is a good warm-up, warming up your body as well as inside your Head.

There are very few 'Rules', one big one is S.O.R. Drawing out anything, first make it Square, then knock the corners down to Octagonal, then make it Round. Doesn't matter how big or small your piece is, same rule, round or square or rectangular. Our wrists will turn a quarter turn, that makes a quarter turn to make it square (ish).

Keep your Eyes and Ears protected, Don't wear Synthetic clothes (they melt and continue to burn).

Try to find someone close, who you can bounce ideas with.

Neil

Hey good to know you a bit.  I'm really really new - not even double digit posts or replies yet.  Just wanted to say - thanks for your service.  The PTSD, I can relate for other reasons.  I'm a health care worker and have coded (you know CPR, etc.) probably nearly 1000 people in my 35 years.  Was particularly good at putting airways in.  I can see almost every single person's face in my memories.  Lot's of things trigger me.  My worst code was on my Dad - I was successful at his home.    His heart was just too shot to ultimately survive the night.  With that, any movie or TV program where a Dad falls usually sets me off like nothing else.  PTSD is no joke - as we all know.  I'm glad you are here - I've found it a great place to hang out and to learn - and just to make friends.  Looking forward to knowing you better.

Some days, weeks, months the problem can be just getting started. It's good to have a simple project hanging around just to work on when you have to push yourself to go to the shop and pick up the hammer.  The longer you put it off the harder it is.  Getting *something* done is good for the soul; even if it's bottle opener #256 or S hook 1000#.  Now is a good time to think of making some simple Christmas Presents.

Welcome, Adam! What Frosty said above is perfectly true: you're not competing with anyone, so don't get stressed by comparisons. I have limited time in the shop and will probably never have the degree of skill I see in some other smiths, but I still try to challenge myself every time I go into the shop. Even if it's something I've done a whole bunch of times before, there's still always something to learn, some insight to be gained, some way to do things just a little bit better. Progress, not perfection.

Belated welcome aboard. I too have PTSD and if you've not given ECD therapy a go you might find some relief. It's the only thing that helped me manage the hyper vigilance issues etc. A lot of people say they get into smithing to get the aggression out. I do it to get the serenity in. 

Pnut