I Forge Iron

Color of 1095 steel

it would help if you would actually ask an answerable question, you're asking how wet is water? its steel colored at 435 ( you didnt say where in the 160 countries that call IFI home you are located nor what system of measurement you are using

I also suggest you use your time to read the pinned threads ion heat treating if you want to learn about it

18 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

it would help if you would actually ask an answerable question, you're asking how wet is water?

I want to see actual results. What color should the blade 1095 steel be. Gold .or yellow straw then iv seen blue. 

I temper at 435° for 1 hour and get a golden color.

435 degrees Kelvin, Celsius, Fahrenheit?  Remember you are asking the WORLD;  what measurement system you are using should be a part of any post!

At 435 degF I would expect a yellow; Blue would indicate it went over 435.  How is it being heated?

As 1095 is a plain high carbon alloy; most of the charts for temper colours that can be found on the net should be good for it.

I think we have a millennial that has not read anything and expects us to fed him all the information, then he can blame us if it does not turn out

For example he still hasn't read the knife stickys he didnt even know we had a knife section, and FYI i will relocate this thread there since he said ifs for a blade, now  I am done with this thread

You don't have a measurement system? I guess I should have used the term units instead.  If so 435 is some random number and not degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius? (or Kelvin, 435 degrees Kelvin = 323 deg F)

When you use a number on a world wide forum it's a good idea to tie it to the system of units it's in  Leagues, miles, kilometers, AU, parsecs makes a difference when you are talking distance!

Another one that is a common gotcha is the term "dollars": Canadian dollars differ from US dollars differ from Australian dollars differ from Singapore dollars...  Just using the term "dollars" doesn't indicate what type of dollars they are.  Recently we had a fellow posing about an anvil at a price and some folks said it was a bit high---but he was in Canada and if you converted the price from Canadian dollars to US dollars it was a pretty good deal!

A lot of folks are not used to being in the World Wide Web; I've spent decades working on international projects with my jobs and so got my nose rubbed into dealing with differences early. (Just setting up conference calls we had to use UTC time to get everyone to call in at the correct time!)

Remember that the lead in for URLs is "WWW"  World Wide Web. We have people from over 100 countries who have participated here and I am very proud of the fact!

Several posters that are fairly regular use translation software to communicate with us and so that can be a bit "off". I hate to think what our posts must look like in their languages.

It's not a big problem; just a courtesy to others.  The Moderators work to keep this a site that you can have our grandkids use without blushing; and most of us have run afoul of them a time or two. Again not a big problem, just try to avoid their notice in the future---I was once moderated for a typo and I'm still here.

And yes I'm picky about somethings; straining at gnats and swallowing camels.  You can just consider it my own personal sociopathy, but beware Frosty's PUNs!

I'll have to figure out how to carry snowballs with me to Quad State I guess. Maybe I'll be able to organize a crew to mass snowball folk in Lederhosen and Hawaiian shirts. 

I rarely spend the time to offer a pun to someone who's idea of research or reading a lot doesn't cover the fundamentals. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Okay, I see we're going to need: bulk ice, a commercial ice shaving machine and ball packer. We can defray costs by selling snow cones. Hmmm, I wonder how a scotch snow cone would go on a hot day. Single malt mmmmmm.

So long as I don't get too sunburned I WILL exercise my right to bare arms! I might wear snowball throwing gloves though. 

Speaking of arming bears, did anybody see the footage of the guy meeting momma cougar on a trail in Utah? I THINK it was Utah. She had a couple kits and didn't like the hiker getting close so she chased him off. She was scary for sure but then she bluff charged a couple times, front feet off the ground claws extended and lunged on her hind legs. The guy started videoing as soon as she started the threat display and it is some scary footage.

Oh, she kept getting closer until the guy picked up a rock and threw it at her. She was gone like she was shot out of a cannon. 

Remember guys rocks are your friends! I know I've never met a dog that didn't know what it meant when a human picked up a rock. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I always thought that guaranteed the right to bare arms as in sleeveless dresses and wife beater tee shirts. ;-)

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Frosty,  I once chased off a pack of neighborhood dogs who were acting aggressively towards me by pretending to reach down and pick up a pretend rock (there were none around) and pretending to throw it at them.  I think primates, including humans, are hardwired to throw things at threats and canids and felines are hardwired to recognize that.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Oh yes the pretend rock is a legitimate anti dog weapon, I've used it myself. 

Many years agone I got hired on at a service station and the owner (an un nice guy) sent me to the wrecking yard he was partner in, our station also had a couple wreckers. Anyway, mr. joker Ken just "forgot" to warn me about the dogs loose in the yard, gave me a key to the gate and said "go."

I'm following directions to the alternators and I hear the scrabbling of claws on sheet metal. I Stop and realize there are at least 3 dogs and they have me surrounded and have clear access to me under shelves through the isles. I started looking for a way to climb the racks and one emerges about 20' in front of me and I hear another behind me give a little growl. There is one on each side in the next isles over and I am thinking I AM SCREWED!

While wondering what I could get selling the wrecking yard and funny Ken's house I start looking for something to use as a weapon. Just in front of me is a heater hose with a broken T fitting. A flail is better than nothing so I pick it up. 

In a split second all 4 dogs are within touching distance in front of me jumping and spinning around with really happy dog faces so I threw the heater hose for them and we were buddies. 

When I got back to the station with the alternator funny Ken asked if I had any trouble, it took pretty long. Nope, everything was right where he said it was. No trouble with the dogs? Well, Skippy is a pain, don't move if you don't rub his belly but Ruby and Stu are obedient. Whitey is a sneaky joker and almost tripped me. You're lucky I didn't fall and get hurt or I'd own everything you have for not warning me about the watch dogs. AND being as it was a joke, probably criminally prosecutable.  He was an ex cop and knew exactly what could've happened.

He didn't have employees that lasted more than a couple months. Had to retire early from law enforcement too.

Funny guy.

Frosty The Lucky.