I Forge Iron

Fire poker

Davor

I think I'd make the twisted section a little longer than your hand but that's about the only suggestion I can think of. 

There are lots of twists out there. The thing to remember about some of them like the Pineappple twist is to break the sharp points, they're uncomfortable in the soft lady's hands.

Ditto Das, if it were a forge fire tool we'd call it a "fire rake" but I like calling it a "pocker." Sure it's a minor translation program glitch but as a new name for a new fire tool it's perfect.

Frosty The Lucky.

We have a retired couple at our church that split their time between Cornwall in the UK and Socorro in the USA; they have such an implement that they use for their wood stoves in both locations and have been transferring it back and forth.  Finally they figured out that I could make another one for them as they were having trouble finding one that matched the one they like.

Not as pretty as yours; maybe I should send them your picture and see if they would like to "upgrade"...

• 1 month later...

More practice, winter is coming and I'm just giving them away. Friends like them. It is deliberately twisted like that because it is for a left-hand friend, otherwise it would be neutral position. I just thought it would be fun.

IMG_20201103_113738.jpg

Nice, I like it. I discovered the ladies don't like twists with sharp corners like a pineapple twist. I broke the edges to round them slightly and the ladies liked them better but still preferred smooth rounded handles. They preferred cable twists so that's what I make them.

Guys like the sharper points but generally we have tougher hands. I used to roll bottle caps in my hands for the feeling. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Frosty said:

You have a strong knack for blacksmithing

Thank you, but I only show you stuff I’m satisfied with. I also, today, did eighth twists for a book shelf and was happy with two of those.

That is a lesson not emphasized enough. There is no shortcuts for skill you have to put in the time.

It is a good thing I’m having a good time learning.

Welcome aboard Jackalope, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a chance to meed up with members living within visiting distance. 

I like carnuba paste wax, Trewax is the brand in my tool bag but there are others. Boiled linseed oil (BLO) is a good finish. However the fire will burn it off, weather and hands will in wear it off so you'll need to touch it up once in a while. You can leave the rag in the can of a carnuba paste wax and forget it. You have to safely dispose of any rags used with BLO, it can cause spontaneous combustion. Being used in a fire pit takes care of that though, burn it then and there. 

High temp paint will burn and wear off too but not as quickly.

Frosty The Lucky.

Jackalope, if you do use the high temp paint be aware of and follow the curing instructions for best results.

Any of the waxes or blo will need occasional touch ups as frosty mentioned. 

Another option is to make them from stainless steel for ones to be kept outside. 

What Thomas said.

I usually use Blo, turpentine and beeswax applied hot. Then a carnuba based wax rubbed and buffed on cold. Whenever needed, wipe or lightly brush the loose rust off and apply the finish above cold. This will over time create a beautiful and durable exterior finish.