• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have never gad any interest is shoeing horses…

Today I finally finished the chipping hammer that I started a while ago:

91BF1D5F-2E92-4B5F-8C3D-0B2F7860172B.jpeg.131f7a6f5440cb14dd51943ce0bc1a0c.jpeg1268DFCA-5352-4F9F-B49A-211D9A5E4753.jpeg.62b0880dce3f9366f58c6483c1f128c6.jpeg

I’m not real happy with the basket twist or the very basic engraving. Overall, it turned out pretty good… and my nephew with be the only one at school with anything like it.

The head is made from a large railroad clip, and the handle from a large conveyor drive shaft. (The first handle I made was out of mild steel with a neck similar to an east wing hammer. It didn’t turn out, which is good because it was pretty weak. There’s a long story with that failure…)

Keep it fun,

David

David nice work. 

Flat twist handles are super tough going at them hardway bend .

You are the only other person I know that's done it. Kudos. 

Coming from the welding trades.  I hope he's a huge guy or the photos are not showing a true scale of size. 

While called chipping hammers, they are really more used like scratching hammers. 

I prefer light and small. 

Beautiful work just the same. 

How recent are hoop knives Jennifer? I seem to remember them from our horse days, late 60s or so. I have a couple farrier friends who typically use the knife that fits the hoof. A hoof pick is a hoof pick where ever it is. Hoof knives with a hoof pick back or pommel I remember clearly from the 60s. One of the farriers forged a hoof pick from a shoe he pulled off my horse for me in about 30 seconds. Seemed like he was that fast it probably took a whole minute. 

Heck my saddlebag clincher had a hoof pick on it. 

The ground we rode was too rocky in general not to shoe a horse. Even the MacClay(sp?) wash had plenty of hidden rocks and worse under the sand. The wash bed changed every time it rained much. 

I haven't picked up a hoof in maybe 20 years and that was a workmate's horse. He couldn't figure out why his horse always sidled sideways. One look and I recommended he find a GOOD farrier, the poor gelding needed an orthopedic shoe to correct a really sloppy trim. What looked like a chronically badly trimmed hoof, I'm betting the shoer was nip shy so rushed the right front shoe. Probably got nipped because he was taking too long or hurting the horse. 

I never wanted to shoe horses but you gotta do what you gotta do. I trail rode, the only riding I did in an arena was roping, I was too heavy to be any good barrel racing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Goods, I was really admiring that basket twist.   It looks great.  I can't really see if it's all flat pieces or if you squared it up after forge welding.   Jennifer,  do you have a video for the flat twist?  I'm going to be in a shop all weekend and I want to try this. 

Frosty finding a commercially made loop knife here in the 90's was tough..  You could order them, but no one carried them as stock items. 

They made loop knives which were much smaller for doing abscess removal..  Different items though. 

This loop knife is standard sized for trimming feet so it's loop would be oversized compared to convention.. 

I'm not sure what was used in other parts of the world but from everything I have seen or read in my early career the loop knife was a special item for abscess removal.. 

Of interest they also had special drills used based on spoon bits..   I call them cherry pitters as they resemble that type of spoon bit. 

Anyhow, be nice if you could find an old photo or draw a picture with the scale of size to see the difference. 

I'm not saying shoeing is not required..  But I am saying shoeing is required because of..  

The because of was even pointed out in your comment about Imbalance..   "needed a special shoe because it was crooked by the farrier"..   LOL.. 

Yes..    

It's all semantics and after 35 years I see the same things all the time..   Barefoot hoof care is a totally different science applied totally differently.  I use some of the same tools but understanding the hoof and growth takes on a whole other worldliness. 

I've given up explaining the differences..  It's got to be seen in action to see the differences..  

Like anything there is unlimited possibilities to forging an S hook..  Yet some are better than others.. It's a matter of the person seeing the difference for themselves before they even try to understand why it works or is better. 

I’m not sure if this would qualify as a flat twist. I left the handle portion at 1/2” octagon, the slit it with a thin cut-off disk and hacksaw two ways to make four sections to twist. The cuts weren’t perfect, so the four sections were all the same thickness. It made for really a really wonky basket and I fiddled with it till I was worried I’d destroy it.

JLP, it about the same size ass the standard cheap spring handle chipping hammers, but it is heavier.

Keep it fun,

David

Made a Jennifer inspired trident. All the forks i had ever made before were 2 tined, the fire poker end is how i have been doing those as of late and i figured that 3 tines would not be much different than making 2 turkey feet on a a poker instead of 1. Not as clean and smooth as Jennifer's but it was fun doing it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.15a88b4c8a29ea5323cde00ebc27411f.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Chad J. said:

Jennifer,  do you have a video for the flat twist?  I'm going to be in a shop all weekend and I want to try this. 

I do not have any videos on the channel. 

After showing one of the videos to my buddy, he said youtube would be a waste of time and a DVD or bluray would be the way.. 

So, I shelved the videos on forging most of these. 

here are some sample flat twists, the legit one is photo 3, I scrapped the first 2, and then an assortment. 

If you do try a flat twist hardway handle be sure and show the photos.. 

You are in for a glorious ride.. 

20190305_184943.jpg

20190307_142643.jpg

20190312_180942.jpg

20190406_174011.jpg

20190406_174019.jpg

Billybones.. Nice job..  Wow. Congrats.. Commendable work.. 

Nice job.  I'm a farrier so hold my tools in accordance which is backwards to how regular people hold them. 

I like to have a scoop on the hoof end like a long spoon.  Ideally the bend of the shoe should rest in your palm and the scoop part is facing away or pointing away from you..  

A wrist flick away or down in the commissures of the frog will clean out one side and same on the other. 

This one is pointed toward the person..  You can see the scoop in the blade.  it makes a world of difference. 

Started doing the spoon blade many years ago and works better then any other design. 

I don't have any photos handy of the blade facing the way I like.. But it's opposite of this one. 

20230403_190437.jpg

20230403_190549.jpg

Need hardware for my "office" i am building so i got the door handle knocked out and started the hinges for the door. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7710305d7155bbfad663d309909f4d04.jpeg

Did not actually want a "spade" finial on the hinges but that is what the metal wanted to be. The handle took a while becuase i started with a piece of 1/2" square bar 6" long so it took a bit of drawing out and piening. 

Billybones.. 

I think what you have done is good.. 

With this said I often wonder why people pick modern hardware to copy..   For 15-20.00 one can go and buy that very hardware all painted and ready to install. 

Since blacksmithing and forging are what blacksmithing is about..  More traditional design would seem to warrant making. 

The reasons are this..  The traditional designs were perfected over a very long time to their best useable form. 

The modern items are not designed to last nor really offer any durability. 

Coming from a hardware background myself jades me some as seeing the real performance from old hardware is amazing. 

If you can forge a leaf then one can forge a cusp..   There are videos on my YT channel showing the whole process. 

If I can do it, anybody can do it.  I learned how on my own..  Now with education and videos no one has to go it alone. 

For just a few more minutes of time that flat bar could be a contour and figured thumblatch or handle. 

Challenge accepted? Demoing at a festival today and I tried the flat basket twist first:

A6CA7214-ECAF-418A-AC8D-35207F4A732F.jpeg.3de6b90c28bbd660d26dddc4f83dede6.jpegBCE18358-6C35-40D0-BCE7-54FDF8EB78B1.jpeg.49a15efe1dd57ff4cdd31856b5ffa5bf.jpeg

The basket turned out ok, next time should be better. Everything on the poker is rough. Just one of those days. This turned out better than everything else. My body just isn’t happy with me today…

Keep it fun,

David

David, it's the reason why flat basket twist handles are not done..  The flat stock turns to bend the easy way vs the hardway.  

Your results would be the norm..  So a very good trial..  

Does it feel good in your hand?  I often find the upright sides to be not so comfortable. 

By the way.. I love your pokey part.. Great design. 

So, yesterday I wanted to put a new handle on my 45yr old 2.5lbs Truevalue cross peen hammer. 

I noticed that every tool I used were ones I have made for processing the wood into staves and then into handles. 

This hammer was my go to hammer for nearly all my career and then some.. Well until I made my hammers too. 

So, I make a hammer, to make an axe, to make a froe, to make a draw knife to make a handle.. 

20230902_102922.jpg

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

So, I make a hammer, to make an axe, to make a froe, to make a draw knife to make a handle.. 

That’s the best part of blacksmithing for me.

I’m not happy with the pokey end. The shape is right, but the weld opened up while I was drawing it out for length. Of course, the way my day went, I burnt it some… All the harder weld worked out fine, but this simple one eluded me. (Everything else turned out bad. Two leaves and a bottle opener for the scrap pile!)

The handle feels good, but I should heat it up and close the basket a bit, it’s a little big.

Keep it fun,

David