I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Grasshopper turned out ok. Feeling like I rushed a bit and may have not got some small stuff right. First one in this style and have more pipe wrenches so no biggy. Initially planned to paint it green but I like what is left of the red with some heat coloring. You can always paint it later but it is near impossible to go back to what it was originally. 

20230629_010911.thumb.jpg.45d1ba9a599d865405c3df76312244e1.jpg

20230629_010948.thumb.jpg.f0cf492bc1188dee91b5c997e00b7691.jpg

20230629_011024.thumb.jpg.439428f978f1eb9cc625fb899b9df77c.jpg

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very cool Das, what size pipe wrench did you use? The teeth in the jaws makes me expect fangs but that's my silly imagination. It's sort of a family tradition I was pretty young, 7-8 maybe, caught a frog and it bit me. For years Mother and then the rest of the family teased me about watching for sabre tooth frogs when I went somewhere. 

Seeing all the scrap art critters brings back fond family memories. Thanks Das.

Nice vise DW, I like the mount.

Frosty The Lucky.

A good vise is a joy to use Duck. 

Thanks Les. My imagination barely gets out any more. Doesn't like being cooped up lol.

Thanks Frosty. Its always good to hear that something i make sparks imagination or a memory. 

Sabre tooth frog eh? Haha. Gets me thinking of the taxidermy frogs posed and dressed up in scenes that someone posted on here a while back.  

The shells with the crab claw heads make me think of the skeksis from The Dark Crystal.

Frosty, looks like his work is all washed up. 

Some sculptures could benefit from paint imo. Most I like the natural look of the scrap or some heat colors. 

I like Jim Henson puppetry, I'll have to look it up.

I'm more a sci fi fan than fantasy,  Dues ex Machina is too strong a tool in fantasy. My thing is hard science sci fi though there are some really super fantasy novels, movies, etc.  

If I start quoting lines from the movie it'll be YOUR fault Das, I just hope your conscience is up to it! :P

Frosty The Lucky.

I've been blamed for worse. :lol:

I like all kinds of sci-fi and fantasy. Imagine that lol. Tho. alot of times my mind needs a trigger to get back to remembering things. It can be a hard life sometimes with that sort of forgetful memory. 

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Dues ex Machina is too strong a tool in fantasy.

Only when the storytelling is clumsy, and that can be an issue in any genre. 

So, added some more bits to the welding cart: a drawer for mig tips and such, a cleat for the power cord, a hook for the chipping hammer, a couple of shelves underneath for extra wire, and the bench vise that was on its previous incarnation. 

IMG_6926.thumb.jpeg.dcc93f4304ec41af929ec33f367e65eb.jpeg

IMG_6910.thumb.jpeg.4e67976c87af553076a05f74d3c13c6d.jpeg

IMG_6924.thumb.jpeg.abb4a5122295520e45e6f8ff78cdfd6a.jpeg

IMG_6909.thumb.jpeg.2ff0ce0dcfe9b23b7e7ec00a0cbd9507.jpeg

IMG_6921.thumb.jpeg.1aa313e432f054e37aff900e4d0ef58d.jpeg

I think that’s enough for now.

Like the vice grip hanger a good bit John. Got something similar with a expensive specialty auto body vice grip set. Been meaning for years to make some to hold them all nicely but still am yet to get around to it. Good work on the cart.