I Forge Iron

Kanca vs Holland vs Hoffman

Thank you for the link to the PDF.

From the 1914 Hay Budden  Catalogue

Hay Budden disclaimer.jpg

Anything CAN be abused.  But we are talking about dropping a small ball bearing, from a short height, using only the force of gravity, to determine rebound.

There are many anvils today that are over 100 years old, that have worked all their lives, and are in good condition.  How many hammer blows that represents is beyond numbers, unless you use exponents.  The number of blacksmiths that have worked on just that one anvil would be interesting, but has been lost in time.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Balbasarado, They tempered the Hay Budden in a manner to suite most blacksmiths of the 1914-1915 time period.  These were working blacksmiths and the tools were a long term investment.   They did not abuse their tools and equipment as it meant whether they could put food on the table or not.

The 1908 Sears Roebuck Catalogue on page 506 lists a blacksmithing kit consisting for a portable lever forge, steel faced anvil, horizontal bench drill, bench vise, stocks and dies, tongs, farriers knife, farriers hammer, 2 pound hand hammer, for $14.12

The next step up was a lever forge, anvil, post drill, post vise, tongs, nippers, farriers hammer, hand hammer, hot cut, etc for $25.69

The Vulcan set of blacksmithing tools was a 25 x 36 inch lever forge, anvil, post vise, post drill, tongs, nippers, die set, etc for $46.53

Whirlwind portable forge was $5.19 

A 24 inch bellows was $4.05

Post drill was $7.28

I did not see individual anvils listed.

A kenwoood steel walking plow was $8.62

$100 in 1914 is worth $2,599.18 today according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index.

The variations in style of London Pattern anvils are suited for variations in type of work.  The wasp waisted long thin heel and long horned anvils are very nice for ornamental work; the fat waisted "blocky" anvils are great for industrial pounding on the faces with a very large sweet spot.  Fishers tend toward blockiness  as part of dealing with the body material.  

I have a large Fisher and a smaller HB set with my forges so I can use either depending on what I am doing.  (And yes forges as I have a propane and a coal forge also set up where I could use either with either anvil.)

That's pretty cool Mr. Thomas! And I do see where a thin heel could be used in some scrolls or in gate work, especially when setting rivets between 2 elements instead of collering. I'm guessing that's why Uri Hofi designed an anvil with such a large side shelf.

Glenn, yeah if you where to put kits like that together now, talking thousands not hundreds.

Once I get a powerhammer working I will need to rearrange every thing.  Luckily I anvil'd up while they were cheap and can just duplicate the set up with the power hammer in the center and a forge on either side.  My friends are NOT looking forward to that weekend---except they want to use the LG too!  (Must practice my "I'm old and feeble" act; I pretty well blew it the time I picked up the 165# PW and carried it to a new location... of course I was younger then...)

21 hours ago, Glenn said:

They tempered the Hay Budden in a manner to suite most blacksmiths of the 1914-1915 time period.  These were working blacksmiths and the tools were a long term investment.   They did not abuse their tools and equipment as it meant whether they could put food on the table or not.

You kinda remind me of my wife with this post.  I'm sure glad I have her, so I'll go ahead and appreciate your post too.  I'll remain slack jawed and bewildered as well.

Hey Stringstalker82!  I'm looking forward to seeing your new anvil when you get it!  I prefer the look of the thick waisted ones myself too.  But I don't have enough experience to illuminate your decision in any meaningful way.  I do know that much at least.  Happy Hunting!  Start a new thread for it too please.

Well no, not really anything like that.  But with so many handy cosigners to follow you down whatever rambling path you take.  Who would I be to argue? 

More like when I know exactly what I said, and my wife repeats it out loud as if I didn't just say it.  More like that.  But if that reminds you of hunting with one bullet in the olden days...I guess I give up.  I've somehow found myself in blacksmith wonderland sitting down to dine with the mad hatter.  I hope you and your one bullet don't shoot the white rabbit.  I'm gonna go check the CO detector batteries.

I grew up in an LA suburb and walking around with a firearm was a good way to strike up a conversation with law enforcement. Not that you'd be in trouble but the WOULD like a chat. 

It wasn't till much later I was expected to bring home anything for dinner, usually if Dad was working late so Mother, Shannon and I could splurge on pizza. Shakey's was the only pizza parlor within get it home hot driving distance.  Other than that nobody trusted what I thought of as good stuff for dinner. 

Dad and I did a lot of shooting though, I wasn't a shabby shot, pot pie pans at 200 yds. with iron sights was petty much no miss. Of course I could see a pot pie pan at 200 yds. at that age.

Frosty The Lucky.

Remember the old John Wayne film where he's talking to his old indian scout about doing a job for him and the scout says his eyes are too bad for shooting anymore and John replies "Me Too" and hands him a short barrel shotgun?

I've been wearing glasses since I was in single digits; they have saved me a lot of pain as improv safety glasses. (When folks tell me I should get contacts, I show them my old pairs of glasses with scratches, impacts, burns on them and tell them I LIKE having something between my eyes and the world.   Always get the safety rated lenses!)

And to correct a typo; that's supposed to be "mad hatters"; Tea Time!

I've been wearing glasses since the 5th grade. And I agree with Mr. Powers, There have been several times my specticals have protected my lookers. 

Iron dragon, I love my muzzleloaders. Actually I love anything outside. I've actually just got through given my favorite smoke pole its preseason check up. It is a hand built Tennessee Mountain flint lock  that I built from a kit. Cherry stock, with iron trimmings and all the iron is blue. I fancy the blued look much more than the browned ones I have seen.

Slag I have a cheater lens in my old pipeliner welding hood.

My trifocals are poly carb safety glasses with side shields. They all have been since something got around my first pair of scrip lenses. 

On 9/26/2020 at 9:47 PM, SLAG said:

And then there is presbyopia. 

A devout presbyopian are we Messr Slag? Are we allowed to discuss it I wonder?

Frosty The Lucky.

On 9/27/2020 at 6:47 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

My eye sight went to pot at 40, 38 years later my bifocals still keep me in the game. With my muzzleloaders, I can hit a clay bird sitting on the berm at 150 yards.:ph34r:

With how many shots?  LOL, 'jus messin' wit ya, Randy....

Herr, Frosty,

Has recently written,

"A devout presbyopian are we Messr Slag? Are we allowed to discuss it I wonder?"

Another name for presbyopia is far sightedness

Presbyopia is the condition where sufferers require reading glasses,  a.k.a.  cheaters,  in order to read.

It, usually, accompanies old age. It is caused by weakening of the muscles that focuses the cornea. But the main cause is the gradual thickening of the cornea as we age

"Presby..." is a word root, which means elder. (it's probably from the Greek but may be derived from Latin, help me here Mr. JHCC)

The Presbyterian churches are run by the minister together a chosen group of elders.

I am not a protestant and have no connection the said faith.

Thus sayith The,

SLAG.

Mr. Stringstalker I keep meaning to get such a cheater lens for my MIG welding helmet,  now that the movers brought my property from storage.