I Forge Iron

Unusual old tool

Dad used to tell us about fixing flats on the side of the road, only folks with money could afford a spare tire. Dad and the brothers sold spare tires for gas money or groceries. They had to have a vehicle but transportation was all it was. 

Watching the videos yesterday gave me a new appreciation for patching another hole in an old inner tube on the side of the road. Seriously, it was always pitch dark, snowing hard, wind howling, 3' or more on the ground, and uphill both ways.

Frosty The Lucky.

The wooden spoked wheels on early automobiles were referred to as "artillery wheels.'  This was apparently a reference to the heavy duty wooden wheels that were used on artillery pieces (with a few heavy artillery exceptions) through World War 1.  Steel wheels for autos did not become common until the late 1920s - early 1930s and even then it was for more expensive models.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Seems like ages since I saw true wire wheels too.

I read an account of some folks working a small mine in Arizona and having trouble because it got so hot where they were at that the patches wouldn't stay on their tubes and they couldn't drive to town for supplies. They ended up making more money selling cutting stuff to a jewelry maker in Germany than the ore they shipped out for smelting.