I Forge Iron

New to forging-what do you stand your forge on?

Forge of fenrir

Here's how I mounted my forge.

p3482905611-4.jpg

The cart was from Harbor Freight. (you haven't put your location in your information, so I don't know what part of the world you live in and whether you have HF stores or not)  The black stand between the forge body and the HF cart was cobbled together from existing metal.  I widened the stance of the cart with 2x6 material because Frosty thought it looked too "tippy".  The opening of the forge is presently at shoulder level.  I'm just getting started in blacksmithing and haven't used the forge enough to say if it's too high or not. (some have told me it is..........I'm not so sure at this point)  Here's what it looks like all put together and ready to forge in.

p3890832755-4.jpg

Don't know if this helps or not, but it's what I have to offer.

Please put all of your location information in your profile.  You might find out you have someone in your general location who can come help you directly.

I use an old BBQ cart for my propane forge as well. Junked the grill and fastened a piece of sheet metal where the grill had been.  I've used this one so long I've replaced the cheap wheels with better ones from the scrapyard---mounted an axle for them and added cross bracing as this travels a lot and tossing it into the back of the truck tends to rack it. (forge and cart are loaded separately) I can store spare propane bottles on the cart and have the using one off to the side for easy access.

When I first came to this site, it was recommended I build a JABOD.  I resisted because I remembered a serious allergic reaction to my Uncle Bob's coal forge.  So I've spent a bunch of money on a gas forge. (more than I'd like to admit)  Don't get me wrong, I'm tickled to death with my "gasser", but I could have been forging a whole lot sooner for a whole lot less cash outlay if I'd taken the JABOD suggestions/route.  And what irritates me the most is I stopped by a forging demonstration by our local club at the Country Fair last year and the burning coal didn't bother me even a little bit...........................and after leaving I realized I was getting a lung full from the three forges burning.  Must have been something else that set off my allergy reaction that day.  Oh well...........my loss.

So my plan is to learn how to forge in the gasser and then build a coal forge someday.  I like the nostalgia of the coal forge as well as the ability to heat just a localized portion of a long rod or bar.

A piece of sheetrock on 1/2" spacers makes a good heat shield to protect wood from a gas forge.  My current stand is a steel serving cart I got at a yard sale. I was only interested in a few things, a couple ball pein hammer heads and a handful of old beat up chisels. I had to take the cart and everything on it or nothing.  

What fun would starting functional simple be Mike? I usually don't. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky. 

The funny thing is that I could just replace the cart with a newer better one instead of patching it up and "improving it".  I must have some Dr Frankenstein genes in me.  I still remember an old lawnmower I kept alive years after it should have been trashed---riveting plates to the body, putting scrounged wheels on it, messing with the carburetor. It would generally take me longer to start it than it did to mow the lawn (old town City lot). Then the week we were moving someone stole it. I nearly did myself an injury laughing at someone stealing something that was worth less than a US$1 and that as scrap!

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

What fun would starting functional simple be Mike? I usually don't. <sigh>

Starting simple isn't the same as building crude; it means allowing room in the original design for changes and add-ons. As for your druthers; I suffer from the same failing; too many good ideas for the old man's own good :D

I try not to do crude unless it's an emergency or loud specific request and I tend to turn those requests down. 

My issue is not designing and building the deluxe Swiss Army . . . thingy. Even after shaking my head or laughing outright at some of the idiotic bells and whistles designed into things. Our latest new car and pickup truck have some ridiculous automatic  . . . stuff. Either one has a computer driven thermostatically controlled interior environmental comfort system. The pickup is worst, if I have the plow hung the temperature goes way up. Not the engine the outside temp and the heater adjusts automatically based on the EXTERIOR temp. The temp sensor must be right at the grill and the plow blocks the air flow so there I am taking the short trip to the transfer station at -5f and suddenly the air conditioning comes on high. The outside temp reading is 145f. so of COURSE you need the AC! You have to turn the temp all the way to the stop to disable the comp and just have hot air. 

A long time ago after spending I don't know how many days refining one of my ideas on paper I realized the REAL  mark of high tech is; the simpler a tool or machine that does the job well is the higher tech. 

Forge of fenir just posted and I'm not sure what you mean. Are you looking for something nobody's ever used for a forge stand before? Or maybe just saying you've never smithed before?

If the former you could try mounting a forge on top of a balloon. I don't think anybody's tried that. If the later, "could be fun" is a gross understatement, playing with fire and hitting things is more fun than should be legal.

Frosty The Lucky. 

I too have come to hate the term "automatic." Unfortunately automatic is the new buzz word in sales, having replaced big crome car bumpers and tail fins, brushed stainless appliace finishes, and "titanium" credit cards as mind blocks :P

The two buzz words that really get me are. Massive to describe large. I guess if your vocabulary is buzz word bingo. . . Then there's "AI" I don't think most folk have any better idea what "artificial Intelligence" means than they do "massive." 

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance. . . . write commercials!

Frosty The Lucky. 

I run the AC almost daily, especially when the windows are frosted up. With the temp set to high AC produces heat before the engine warms up so you get a few minutes jump on the time.

I just hate the idea that some IT living in Mom's basement can program MY equipment to make basic decisions for me. I don't think the guys designing our roads drive, intersections are turning into such crazy complex paths of crossing swerving and zero line of site points of conflict the planners can't have real any real world experience. Parking lots are nothing but traffic control patterns that really only congest the basic function of a parking lot. 

Makes me want to scream. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

My gas forge started out on a BBQ cart salvaged from someone else's trash. After using it for a while and learning what I liked about it and what I didn't, I build a new cart from the ground up out of 1" pipe and a metal-framed dolly that I cut apart and rewelded. I've since added an extending stock rest, but don't anticipate doing anything else in the bells and whistles department.

Skynet is coming...

As to the post, i use an old propane grill. Took out the grates and it is just deep enough to hold the forge with the opening where i like it. Built the forge and i can remove the burner so that when it was outside the lid was big enough to close over the whole thing to keep it out of the elements. Over the past while though i have switched to coal and my gasser, well i would provably have to fight the spiders out of.