I Forge Iron

How to Forge Rectangular Blacksmiths Diamond

Sure could be..  this is merely 1 way..    for one this small, it's nearly as easy to just upset it.. But  then it would be a totally different video.. 

Again, there are as many ways as there are one can dream up..    I've done with with upsetting, faggot welds,  collar welds,  

You choose.. 

I do like the welding on of a collar though as most are forge welding scared.. 

this I think is the toughest as mentioed before because of the stack height but that is also part of the challenge. 

Maybe you will do one in a video.. That would be excellent.. 

So, on the what you made thread I was asked what this is for. 

A blacksmith diamond is both a finial  ( pronounced  Fin A ell)  and as a transition or design element. 

It can be used for anything you want to.    I have used them for handles on pokers, for weights on my forge clinker breakers, for  the balls on the end of maces for push points on the ends of chisels, as a finial on the end of a knife..  Really it's like all the other elements in smithing..  

If you can dream it, then you can build it.. 

Billy, that is a mighty fine job.. Really a very good job at that.. For you first go that is amazing.. 

Was the video good enough or were there things I should have added?   Any suggestions or comments?  Others as well as myself might find them helpful.. 

thanks for posting the photo.. I just noticed after I posted to the "what did you make today' thread.. 

Really nice job.. 

Thank yall.

Jennifer the video was great. And my speakers do not even work, so it was all just watching you. I cant say you should add anything.

The only suggestion i could say is for anyone making one, get a swage. The rounded corners of my anvil made it super hard to get the side towards the shaft nice and flat, and the shaft kept wanting to go wonky on me. 

I really can not say enough of how appreciative i am of all the help i have gotten here.  

So here is video #2.  

This is the easier of the 2 to do.. Because of the extra width of the bar in contact with the anvil  it simply does not get all wonky as easily. 

This method here works well when one wants to get into much larger examples.. 

Ideally as with all this stuff I used what I had on hand which was 1/4X3/4" for the collar.. Ideally 5/16X3/4" would have been better but again. I used what was handy. 

Another great video Jen. When I get my gas forge ordered this is going to be one of the first projects.I might even throw together a quick and dirty brick and clay forge if the weather gets cleared up this weekend. I'm having withdrawals. 

Pnut

Nice video

Your future pupils up in the frozen north east will have an excellent and experienced teacher.  When you JPL Blacksmithing School up and running    soon :)

To bad I am so far away You have much you could teach me 

Thanks.. And versa vicea..   I got up yesterday to square the top R2? but couldn't figure out which to loosen and which to tighten.  Really would be great to have someone with experience.. I must have gone up and down the ladder 15 times..  The sides are square and plumb.. 

At some point things for sure will be different..  Be happy to give a lesson or 2 for sure. 

Forge build done?  :) 

Sadly No

I lost a foreman and 1 good hand and 1 helper all in a 3 day period    2 weeks ago   So I have been working my butt off trying to stay on top off the things

The joys of a small business   The fore man had been taking night classes in electrical engineering for 2 years and gave me notice .  The good hand had received all of his " apprentice training " at my shop  and quit with 2 day notice for a Union job   Here in Texas  the unions are desperate for hands and you can "buy" in    pay all the dues for the apprentices ship program and you can go in as a journey man