I Forge Iron

List of makers currently producing anvils

This is a list of manufacturers currently making anvils for blacksmiths and farriers:

• Accaciao - China, cast 1045 steel, hardness unknown
  • Atlas Anvil - USA, cast 1050 steel, 60 RC
  • B&W - China, cast 6150 steel, 58-60 RC
  • [William] Barnhart - USA, cast 50MN steel, 57 RC
  • Big Blu - USA, cast steel, 54 RC, alloy unknown
  • Branco - Czech Republic, cast steel, 44 RC (minimum), alloy unknown
  • BSL - Australia, cast 1050 steel, 57 RC (NB: the company is Australian, but the anvils are cast in China)
  • Cliff Carrol - USA, cast steel(?), alloy and hardness unknown
  • Doyle (Harbor Freight) - China(?), cast steel, 63 RC, alloy unknown
  • DTX Anvils - China, cast steel(?), alloy unknown, 58-61 RC 
  • Emerson - USA, cast 4140 steel, 48-50 RC
  • Fontanini Anvil - USA, cast 8640 steel, 50-56 RC
  • Forged in Canada - Canada, cast 4140 steel, 58 58
  • Frontstep Forge - Canada, cast steel, 53-54 RC, alloy unknown
  • [Jymm] Hoffman Anvils - USA, cast H13 steel, 52-54 RC 
  • Holland Anvil - USA, cast H13 steel, 52-55 RC (NB: also makes swage blocks)
  • JHM - USA, cast ductile iron, hardness unknown
  • Kanca - Turkey, forged steel, 54-62 RC, alloy unknown
  • Lyon Blade & Anvil - USA, cast S5 steel, 58-60 RC
  • Mathewson Metals - USA, steel, alloy and hardness unknown (listed as "Fully hardened and heat treated tool steel face")
  • NC Tool - USA, cast ductile iron, hardness unknown
  • Nimba - USA, cast 8640 steel, 50-52 RC
  • Peddinghaus Ridgid - Germany, forged steel, 58 RC, alloy unknown
  • Perun - Poland, cast steel (proprietary alloy), 54-58 RC 
  • [Ernst] Refflinghaus - Germany , cast steel (proprietary alloy), 59 RC (minimum)
  • Rhino - USA, cast steel (proprietary alloy), 54 RC
  • Scott Anvils - USA, cast ductile iron, hardness unknown
  • [Alec] Steele - USA, cast CM40 steel, 52 RC
  • Swan Anvil - England, cast steel, hardness unknown, alloy unknown
  • TFS - USA, cast ductile iron, hardness unknown
  • Vaughans (formerly Brooks) - England, cast steel (proprietary alloy), 60-64 RC

Alloys and hardness numbers are as provided by the manufacturers.

Thought id make a list if anyone is interested. Let me know if any of this is incorrect. Im sure there are a few other makers of quality anvils out there but these are just some I could think of or find.

Also, does anyone know if Kohlswa are still producing anvils?

Thanks

MOD NOTE: the above list has been edited to include makers mentioned in subsequent comments. Feel free to let us know in the comments about other makers, and we'll add them to the list as well. Thank you.

Last updated on 7/13/23.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Judson and BGD. I will update the list with claimed alloy and harness later on, and include those brands. I also heard kohlswa no longer made anvils, but they still seem to have a FB page? can anyone confirm this? maybe a Swedish user?

Edit: I Just phoned Kohlswa Sweden, the man I spoke to was helpful but confirmed that Kohlswa anvils are no longer made.

Edited by Jonnytait
new info

Hi Benona blacksmith. The Mathewson Metals anvils look good but I have concerns about them. From what I can make out from the small photos on their website, it looks as if the base is welded on with an electric welder, which is ok if done properly. They also claim that that the anvils have a Fully hardened and heat treated tool steel face. Does this mean face plate? If so, do they mean it has a welded on face plate? I doubt it would be forge welded on and if its welded on with an electric welder it would need to be done properly, full penetration right to the middle of the anvil. 

Maybe im wrong and its a quality hardened cast steel anvil, has anyone here had any experience with them?

Its no bother, I started the list but Mod34 has improved it a lot. You make very nice tools foundryguy, I would certainly be tempted to buy from you if I was in the US. If anyone is aware of any other anvil makers please share that information in this thread

Princess auto has the Accaciao anvils up to 110 lbs and has a 60 lb anvil that is listed as "forged" which I almost believe. The hardie and pritchel holes do not pass through the body though.

I had the 110 lb Accaciao and it was a very serviceable anvil. Quite a loud ring to it though.

Cougar anvils are sold throughout Australia at farrier supply stores. Cast C45 steel.

Good to know Benona blacksmith.

36 minutes ago, Benona blacksmith said:

Toronto blacksmith also has cast a batch of anvils. Really nice double horn around 170 lbs. Not sure if they have been heat treated and ready for sale yet but I know he was working on it. 

Do you know if any info about those anvils can be found online? I would be interested to know more about them.

Whilst searching for info on those anvils I found a website of a blacksmith in Perth Ontario who makes anvils. His company name is Forged In Canada. Says his name is Don Mackay on the about section. See below - 

this newly created 155 pd anvil is designed to make it the only anvil you will ever need.  Using the best aspects of the well known London Pattern, it is created for working everything from small hooks to swords.  It is made out of cast 4140 tool steel that has been heated treated creating an extremely hard face around RC 58.  The 9.5" horn is round as opposed to the traditional style which is upturned.  The heel of the anvil gradually moves towards the face allowing the blacksmith to work different dimensions in the heel area. Included in the heel, is a 45 degree anvil to help with angles while smithing.  A 2.5" x 2" shelf has been added extending out from the ½" step of the anvil allowing for extra work area. Mounting holes have been added to help mount the anvil.

Anvil Dimensions:
Overall length:  26"
Width:  4.25"
Hardie Hole:  1"
Pitchard:  ½"
Heel of anvil has a 45 designed in it.
Step out:  2.5" x 2"
True round horn:  9.5"
Face length:  10"

dscf3588_1_orig.jpg

I had a look at the princess Auto 60lb ones, again they look good and are affordable, although I doubt that they are forged, could be wrong though. Something I cant understand about these Chinese (assuming they are) anvils is that they are so close to making a brilliant anvil. so close.. I mean why not just make the hardy hole right the way through? Surely it wouldn't be that much more expensive to produce? Same with the cast steel Accaciao anvils with the oddly place pritchel hole on the horn. Fine serviceable anvils Im sure, just some very small changes could make them better

2 hours ago, Benona blacksmith said:

Accaciao - China(?), cast steel, alloy and hardness unknown 

I found 3 sources that say these Accaciao anvils are cast C45 steel. No hardness levels yet. My 110 lb had almost 90% rebound.

I would like see one of these anvils in person and try it out. Am I right in thinking they come in 3 different weights?

dogblazer9598 I did look into the BLU anvils for the list, but it seems BLU don't sell them anymore? There's nothing listed on the anvil section on their website. I'm fairly sure that they were the Czech Branco anvils, imported and sold by BIG BLU. Again, not 100% certain on that though

6 hours ago, Benona blacksmith said:

Princess auto has the Accaciao anvils up to 110 lbs and has a 60 lb anvil that is listed as "forged" which I almost believe

The only drawback is that they charge a premium price for them which kind of defeats the purpose but the upside of paying more thorough them is you could maybe exchange it if you got one that wasn't up to scratch.  I don't know if you'd have any recourse if you ordered one from Amazon or wherever and weren't satisfied.

Pnut