I Forge Iron

Help identifying

Very nice anvils. The second is a wrought iron forged anvil of some type. I'm pretty sure it's one of the many English manufacturers, but my specific guess is a Wilkinson Queens Dudley anvil from the short-ish feet and narrower keeled horn. If it is a Wilkinson, it would have been pre-1850 since they changed their feet shape after that. See if you can find two crossed ovals with text above it in an arc. There would also be hundredweight markings on the opposite side.

This is just my guess of course, since there were a lot of brands in England making anvils at the time, many of which looked very similar to each other. Looks like a great anvil regardless of maker.

Welcome aboard. The 150 pound +/- a few Vulcan looks to be in very good shape. You may be able to bring up some markings on the other one by removing the green paint. Also it looks to be in good condition. A picture of the underside of the base may revel a clue.  Knowing where in the world you are located would also help, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location. Hope you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened faces. I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

Thanks for the quick responses. They are in great shape. My father was a metal worker/excavator. I don’t think he used these, rather a collector. I’m just as intrigued by them. 
On the green one, one of the letters I can make out is a u. I’ve taken a look at images of a Wilkinson’s and it could very well be one. What’s the best way I can go about revealing the impression? I didn’t want to start grinding away at it. Wire brush? 
I live in New Jersey, hopefully that’s helpful. I’ll take some more pictures tonight.

thanks, 

Rich 

6 hours ago, Evergreennj said:

I live in New Jersey,

We won't remember this once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show it. That way we won't have to bug you when an answer depends on knowing your location.

If you have an angle grinder a wire wheel on it will clean off the paint & any surface rust without hurting the anvil. Just be sure to wear PPE when using it. The nice thing about the Vulcan is it's a very quiet anvil. If I remember some of the old adds it was marketed as a city anvil.

Hmm, odd, I have New Jersey set as my location in my profile. I’ll have to look into that. I do have an angle grinder and a wire wheel. Unfortunately it’s dark so early now all these projects have to wait for the weekend. 
That’s what I’ve read so far. Heard the Vulcan is quiet anvil due to what’s its cast from. Also read that they aren’t held in high regard compared to others. 
I’ll keep you guys updated. There’s actually 3 or 4 others at my fathers yard that I’ll be bringing home. One has to weigh at least 400-500 pounds. I’ll post pics soon. 

Rojo Pedro  what is NOS? 

From the feet alone I would say the green one is an Armitage Mousehole made in England. Do not use a knotted wire cup brush , as they are too aggressive, and the markings are light.

The Vulcans are considered to be the bottom rung on the working anvil ladder. They are OK, but not fantastic. A Fisher of similar construction is far ahead in quality. The Vulcan has a thin top plate, blockier shape, and some suffer from casting flaws that lead to breakage. Used within the limitations, and they are fine.

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for all the help identifying these. After looking a little better at the marking on the green one it is a Wilkinson’s. I have some others, haven’t had time to post pics of but will when I get around to it. 

Could anyone help me out with where I could sell a few of these? I’d like them to go to someone who will put them to use. Didn’t see a marketplace on the forums. 

thanks