I Forge Iron

Looking again at the last of your new pictures, I think that the anvil was mounted sideways, welded against something. The feet on the same side of the mystery mark seem to indicate welding all on the one side to have it mounted against a structure or similar situation.  

Sorry Steven but we voted not to tell you about electric and atomic powered anvils a while back. 

The symbol on the side of that anvil is obviously a double 1 domino. Okay guys you can stop joshing with Steven now, we don't want to run him off. :lol:

Frosty The Lucky.

:PAbsolutely, you got it.

If you dial the magnetic field just right, you can hit your work and bounce the hammer all the way up and down again effortlessly, demonstrating once more the value of rebound. 

I believe the magnetic field is synchronised with a timer and a on-off switch like a rotating distribuitor to allow for repeat strikes at different intervals, from slow poco to crazy machinegun Mac :)  

Actually the magnetic field is synched via an adjustable photo cell. When set up properly, you feel like you're in a Farraday cage, at one with the energy field. This is why Edison was so upset with Tesla. (the inventor, not the car)

Steve

You can laugh, but when those subzero forging days are here; my electric anvil is nice and cosy warm!  (Or would be if I had electricity to my shop....unloading all the tools from teaching at the U last night in the dark was "interesting".  The students handling the anvils used a cell phone to light up the area when they showed up. (Why yes, I did leave the anvils and stumps for them...killed off all those slow brain cells when I was younger...)