I Forge Iron

Material to line tire rim charcoal forge

I upped my game a lil bit and i got a tire rim from the local tyre shop and it is a nice cheap little charcoal forge. it works as it should except there are multiple holes on the bottom as it is a rim. I was wondering if there was a kind of paste concoction i could make to line it to finish it up. I can go out and buy what i need as long as it is relatively inexpensive.  Any help would be appreciated.

Dirt. Clay mixed with sand. Just clay. You can make Adobe. I just use the clay straight from the ground behind where I live. It's cheap and plentiful. When it cracks I just get another shovelful. For repairing small cracks I just grab a little mound of worm castings and push some in the crack and smooth it out. It's been working fine.

Pnut

Edited by pnut

Are you making it side or bottom blast. If you're going to make it a side blast forge just build it like a jabod. Fill it with clay or whatever you decide to the edge of the rim dig a trench about an inch deep and make a mound on either side of the rim with the pipe coming in the side of the mound just above the edge of the rim.

Pnut

4 hours ago, Phoenix Action Films said:

its a bottom blast i think it works better for the way the rim is 

And that's another GOOD reason not to use a wheel rim for a forge.

You have a couple problems here. First charcoal much prefers a side blast. Using a bottom blast tends to spread the fire to the entire supply of charcoal on the table. A wheel rim holds a huge pile of charcoal. Add these three basic factors and you end up with a forge that burns many times as much fuel as necessary and makes a so so forging fire you to which can hardly get close enough to use.

You'll have much better luck with a little wash tub or a wooden box full of dirt.

Most of us have probably made the mistake of a bottom blast charcoal or wood forge. We present our mistakes to you so you can go make some new ones we call all learn from. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

1/2 a drum sideways works too. The trick here is don’t get carried away with the size of the fire. If you keep to the 4x8” trench you get a 24x36” hearth to cluter up with tools and 1/2 finished projects. If one leaves a full 12” of one end and uses the cut off to cap it and form a pipe coller one has a super sucker hood and a 24” square hearth. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Charles, once again you made me REALLY use my brain there and instead of developing a headache It put a smile on my face. Just the sound is entertaining and it opens a world of silly new words in my dented mind. Say, you toss a 55 gl. drum from your truck to the stock pile are you "ensourcening" the pile or the drum? When the better half asks, "Where did THAT come from?" You can say the stocks were "Ensourceled," by a "Sourceror" of course.

One of the great things about a living language, you get to invent words to mean what you want. Why not, they're all made up eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

Charles such things are very frustrating; but very enjoyable for the rest of us! Just look at the word sourceror, new to us smiths, we now are using.

Theoretically things will get worse before they get better as tech tries to expand their use faster than their capabilities. (Remember spell checkers before they would let you add words to their dictionaries?)

Charles NONE of us are looking at you like an idiot! So your spelling can be amusing, so what? If I didn't love you I wouldn't tease you, I ignore folk I don't like, friendly insults are for my friends. 

If I came across as anything but your friend giving you the kind of treatment reserved for a dear friend I screwed up. :( It's MY BAD, I humbly apologize. No reservations, no qualifications, straight up, I wish I could do it face to face. I wouldn't hurt you for the world Charles. 

On my honor. 

Frosty The Lucky.