I Forge Iron

Classics (some music)

alexandr

Magnificent music!

Fancy a western theme song with occidental and traditional Japanese musical instruments.

The reference below yields a new "Anvil Chorus" video, well worth the listen

Aleksandr your taste in music matches your superb smithing skills and esthetics.

Thanks.

SLAG.

It's one of the worlds finest symphony orchestras and it did the original sound track for the movies. I THINK. I'm always impressed by the power and purity of the vocals. 

Being the irreverent sort I am odd scenes come to mind. The first time I listened to it I saw a young girl asking her Aunt. "What do you play in the orchestra Mommie?" "I sing, Wa waa waaa. Now get back to your music lesson." That lady has some interesting things to say in the comments.

Did you go down the Danish Symphony orchestra rabbit hole? It sucked me in good.

Frosty The Lucky.

One of the nice things about working for an institution with a world-class conservatory of music is that I get to go to some pretty amazing concerts. There's something amazing about young musicians who have both incredible skill and youthful energy.

Folks,

This thread has some wonderful, inspiring music.

This is SLAG's addition.

Check out the complex rhythm and melody of this piece.

It is composer Eric Whittaker's depiction of a wild free range horse.  Equus.

Enjoy.

SLAG.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to Classical music, here's one of my all-time favorites: Johannes Brahms's "Geistliches Wiegenlied" from "Two Songs for Voice, Viola, and Piano", sung here by the incomparable Jessye Norman, accompanied by Daniel Barenboim (piano) and Wolfram Christ (viola).

Have you read James Gaines's Evening in the Palace of Reason? I think you'd like it: it's a recounting of the circumstances of the creation of Bach's "Musical Offering" with tons of historical context and the details of the layers of meaning embedded in the composition.

I'll have to look it up.  (When I wanted to annoy my dorm mates; I'd crank up my record of Bach being played in the Thomas Kirche)  A 150 year old German Lutheran church I belonged to in Columbus Ohio a couple of decades ago; spent a large bequest getting their pipe organ reworked and musicians would come a long distance  to play the organ  in an acoustically similar space as composers like Bach had used.  It was fairly common for our organist to play such music as an recessional only to find almost the entire church sitting in the pews listening intently. 

• 1 month later...

Thomas,  your posts about Bach music composed for organ reminded me of this.  Leo Kottke was/is a huge influence on me.  While listening, please consider that the original piece was composed and played using both hands and feet.  I learned to play his version of this piece as a teenager which introduced me to several ideas and concepts.  For example, the guitar is tuned to an open G which means that strumming the open strings will get you a G chord.  This lowers the register to bring the requisite bass notes within fretting range of treble notes.  The trade off, is that the guitarist now needs to work within a framework where most of the notes are in a completely different location.  The inherent complexity kept it out of mainstream music for the most part.  However in the 1990's some of the simpler open tunings came into favor in grunge, nu-metal, and alternative music because it lowered the register to better accompany baritone singers like the Tibetan Throat singers above.

Another critical aspect of his technique is to introduce a very slight delay to make the lead stand out from the rhythm.  Both "parts" are played at the same time, and a literal reading of the sheet music calls for the notes to happen in the same instant.  Without his slight delay, the dynamic quality of the two parts tends to cancel one another out.

His version of Bach's Jesu Joy of Man's desiring is on "6 and 12 string guitar" album which is often called "The armadillo" record because of the jacket illustrations.  That album includes several pieces where the melody is relatively slow, but the requisite tempo to sustain the multi part composition borders on what people expect in electronic dance music.  If any of you are interested in this, check out "Vaseline Machine Gun" about one minute in.  

Speaking of playing with both hands and feet; I once asked the carillonist at Cornell U to play Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring on their *manual* carillon.  He was up to the challenge and did a very passable job of it though he was using his elbows and IIRC his forehead at one point as well as his hands and feet....

For background music I liked Bach's Werke fur Laute and of course the Brandenburg Concertos.   When I worked with the swordmaker he and his wife were from Michigan and had a massive library of Motown to work to.

When I'm working in the shop, I usually listen either to Scottish folk music (typically Jock Tamsen's Bairns or Ossian) or the American blues guitarist/vocalist Samantha Fish.

Speaking of carillon, when Lisa was still studying at Julliard, she was part of a performance in the courtyard of the Museum of Modern Art (in NYC) that ended with Charles Ives's Symphony #3: The Camp Meeting. The last movement ("Communion") includes a part for chimes (tubular bells), which in this case were played on the carillon of St. Thomas Episcopal Church next door. The spring evening was cool but humid, and the notes from the bells fell slowly into the space. It was magical.

• 4 months later...