I Forge Iron

Knurling swage?

That's what I think too Das, the knurling is to grip the tubing. It MIGHT be a crimper but I doubt it. I've been YahooFUing it since I saw the OP and haven't found anything likely. Any terms with Hargrave in them hits on pages selling antiques. Hargrave faring tool hits on modern examples. 

Nice tool irreplaceable for . . . ?

Frosty The Lucky.

Knurl the finger of busybodies pointing at you? I'd be mighty tempted to squeeze a piece of HOT steel to see what happened.

If you want to knurl knobs without chucking it up in a lathe or ? there are hand knurling tools. They're similar to a tubing cutter but have two flat rollers/cutters to cut the grooves. I've only seen one and it's been years but they're out there.

Frosty The Lucky.

Same here on trying to find an example Frosty, but it deffinately fits the bill for an old flaring tool. 

Whisky, you're not alone, I have a bunch of old odd tools hanging around waiting to fulfill a purpose. If not they are still cool to hang on to. :)

I have a similar tool and have always assumed that it was a crimper of some sort, possibly for swaging a lead or soft copper sleeve over a wire splice.  The pattern on the inside looks like something to tighten down a soft metal.  It came in a misc. box from an auction.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Folks,

The implement is a sleeve crimping tool. It is used for joining two lengths of aircraft wire.  End to end.

(with some overlap ). the two pieces are installed in a sleeve.  And the tool crimps the sleeve and two inserted wires together, when the arms are squeezed together.

This results in a much longer wire.

The sleeves are most commonly made of aluminum. But sometimes they are copper,  or,  (less often) even mild steel.

The knurling is a novel feature for me.  Perhaps it enhances the deformation and grip of the crushed sleeve.

Hang on to it.  These tools are not cheap,  and they can be very handy at times.

SLAG.

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2019 at 6:01 PM, SLAG said:

Folks,

The implement is a sleeve crimping tool. It is used for joining two lengths of aircraft wire.

Maybe it is. In forty plus years as an aviation electrician I've not had any thing like it in my tool bag either military or civilian. In my experience aviation crimpers have a ratcheting mechanism so once you start the crimp there's no going back. It could predate me because there are fifty some odd years of aviation before I started.

Laynne

Just searched "vintage aviation crimpers" and there they are. So I learned something this morning.

Laynne

Mr. Laynne,

The tool is not just relegated to, only crimping wire for aircraft.

Aircraft wire is used for many jobs.

The wire is called "aircraft wire". But that is just a "term of art".

It is used for all manner of purposes.*

I believe that that term came from the wire that braced biplane's double wings. Those planes were not common beyond the 1950's.

Those tools, as well as the wire, are still available for sale in large hardware stores.

Regards,

SLAG.

*Case in point,

I,   (the SLAG), 

once had to temporarily secure a tall ladder, overnight, in a disreputable part of town. I attached the ladder to a stair railing, with aircraft wire and crimped it secure. The next morning, I returned to the work site and cut the wire, in order to continue using the ladder, for that job.