I Forge Iron

Forge welding end to flat

I'm very much a novice, but I have a few relatively basic projects in my mind. One thing I want to do is to forge weld a hoop or hasp end-on to a bit of flat bar. 

Let's see if I can ASCII-art this one....

Ok so that looks dodgier than I intended - but hopefully makes sense - with the hasp standing up from the flat bar and the two ends (marked by Xs) forge welded. 

____
        /    \
    /===|====|========================/
   /    |    |                       /
  /     X    X                      /
 /                                 /
/=================================/

Am I flogging a dead horse with this? Should I just arc weld them (I don't have a MIG) and then do some heating and battering to make sure they look forged?

drill holes at each 'X'  then taper the ends of the hasp section.  then after heating to temp, its easier to forge weld the junction of the taper to hole, than it would have been on the flat.  Then  grind off the protrusion on the reverse side when finished

|  |
        \/
=======    ======

Like this? Then push it through? And I'd have to hit in the angle? I think that may be a bit beyond my skills at the moment but I'm willing to give it a go!

Thinking more before anyone gets chance to respond: Is the hole *narrower* than the hasp and I hammer on the top of the U of the hasp to drive it down and weld it? That would be MAD clever! 

OR you can bend the ends (x) 90* for a short length say 1/2" and forge braze them. Forge welding feet is easier than jump welding but you still have the issue of getting all the pieces to welding temperature in a controlled manner. 

What George is calling Riveting is what others have called mortise and tenon, specifically a peined mortise and tenon join. Steve's suggestion is a welded mortise tenon join.

What you want to do isn't a beginner's join but it's a worthy challenge. I suggest you experiment with scrap until you get the hang of it. Keep us in the loop please.

Frosty The Lucky.