I Forge Iron

Hi, I'm new

I found IForgeIron when looking for good ways to get steel near me, but have found TONS of information by just clicking a couple things. I only found this...thread? a day or two after making my account and my two previous posts probably massively disrespect the rules the admin put out....anyways I'm a 14 year old smith from Southern California and am interested in the old way of doing things, and the engineering and ideologues going along with it. I specifically like things that do not require electricity due to their general robustness and reliability. I am also interested in Anglo-Saxon ironworking and find it very interesting what people can accomplish with minimal tools, such as an anvil only the size of a fist probably making a sword worth a castle. 

Ok, I didn't read and it took to long to edit so.... 

EDIT: I really need to read things before I start typing... first anvil was a 75 lbs dumbell, first forge was a bread tin, first hammer was a ballpeen which I still use 2 years later, although I have put 4 different handles on it, the latest being my favorite (white oak) 

I started blacksmithing to be able to make my own tools, such as axes, knives, stakes, and other things as I was really into bush craft and self reliance. It's a lot harder than I thought. I also saw a couple TAOW videos (look him up on YT) and thought "Wow, if he can do it so can I!" and also got turned on to hot metal by The King Of Random who made an aluminum foundry out of a bucket. From there it was just the desire to have the skills to fabricate anything I wanted, and I learned I not only am doing it, but I love it as well.

My name is Carson, but on the internet I go by Sparky, I live in SD, California

The main people who encouraged me are my mom and dad, who not only helped me get all the things I need, but were genuinely interested in the things I made. Before this my parents didn't know why the off brand swiss army knife wasn't as good as the real SAK. That is hardly their fault though, as they both grew up dirt poor, and were happy to help me in this hobby. most of my hobbies revolve around self reliance and self fabrication, such as woodworking, leather working, baking (yes I know) and of course blacksmithing

My attitude about this definitely changed when I made my first few hammer blows. The steel was a dull red, so that may have had something to do with it, but it took 5 hours to make a butter knife out of a nail. the hammer was sort of light, I was sort of weak, and the anvil was cast iron I think, but it got  me excited for some reason. Now it is one of my favorite feelings when that blade gets sharpened, or that tool gets used. I made this all by myself, It is mine, and It is useful. I sometimes use my butter knife to spread toast, and it gives me goosebumps just remembering hitting that thing for hours, it was even more of a challenge to get the stupid thing up on a hay bale so I could use it. But that knife is one of my favorites simply because of all the sweat and blood that went into it.

The tool that has made my life easiest is my fisher 50 or 70lbs (I can't remember and I don't know how to tell) anvil that took me so long to mount onto a stump (harder than you think to find a level stump in southern California, trust me.) But my tongs are definitely close contenders. I tried to make My own but I was just not set up properly or skilled enough to really pull it off. I also didn't have the right stock, though I did try. My hammer will always be my favorite tool though, definitely the most beautiful, not to mention I made the handle myself, so that will always be the reason for my leniency.

For the starting smith I would tell them to  find a comfy place on the floor dig a hole for a fire, make it deep enough, get a hacksaw blade, and a pair of pliers or vise grip, light a fire in the pit, and soften the hacksaw blade. Then file a bevel on it, doesn't quite matter which side, it is your first knife anyway. You could file the bevel with concrete if you wanted, Doesn't really matter. Then  take the tail end of the hacksaw blade and heat it up to orange, and burn it into a branch or a piece of scrap wood. then glue it in with any glue you have, preferably epoxy, but elmers will do fine. now get a small can, fill it with olive oil or motor oil or anything else, get the steel to redish-orange, and heat treat it. now put it in the oven at like 400 for 30-45 minutes until it is gold. That was my first hard enable knife, except I tempered it over the fire, which caused the tip to turn blue. If you want to forge, dig a hole for a sledgehammer head, and put one in. then tightly pack the ground around it, and find yourself a piece of quarter inch stock and make a butter knife. easiest thing to ever make. 

For those already involved in blacksmithihng, give me tips pls. For actual advice: keep track of your fuel. I just had a kinda crap day because I ran out of fuel among other things. Also smart and final sells 50lbs bags of charcoal for like 15 bucks so...It's also not too terrible, kinda garbage, but kinda not. 

An interesting thing that happened to me and what I was very surprised about is that steel can burn. Yes, you heard me. I didn't know it could get that hot. Other than that I was surprised how nice and willing to help and teach people are to beginners, or even people who have been doing this for a couple of years. 

Ps: I haven't been continuously forging for the past two years, my first attempt was two years ago but I have just really gotten into it when I finally got everything I needed to do it efficiently (vise, anvil, oil, other hand tools, etc) My parents didn't even have a good hand file despite living on what is basically a ranch. My dad for some reason did have a belt sander, grinder, and a drill press, which is pretty XXXX lucky. Now I am constantly trying to do things as simple as possible (earlier today I failed at making a pukko knife, which involves burning the tang through a piece of wood and peening..pining? the end) I also don't have any epoxy and am saving up for a sleeping bag and hammock so I can go camp somewhere, so that's part of it as well. I also hate epoxy because it takes o long to cure, like I just finished putting the handle on my tool, why can't I use it now?

Hope ya'll liked my essay, but as the admin said, be as descriptive as possible.

Be careful about what you take as good practices from YouTube videos. The only qualifications you must have are a camera and internet connection. There's a bunch of links to good informative YouTube videos in the reference section and please do not follow the King of randumbs example of anything, that dude is dangerous and I'm surprised he hasn't seriously hurt himself or someone else. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Pnut

12 hours ago, pnut said:

Be careful about what you take as good practices from YouTube videos.

I have figured this out now, and I usually see multiple ways of doing things before I do it myself. I have since Unsubscribed from that channel and quite honestly don't care what clickbait bs he puts out now. I now like to watch Black Bear Forge on ways to do things, along with Rune Malten Bertram-Neilson, Old Hickory Forge, and sometimes but very rarely Alec Steel.

13 hours ago, pnut said:

I'm surprised he hasn't seriously hurt himself or someone else.

Randumb has managed to get arrested though. Can't say he's a complete failure, he got the authorities to do something right.

Frosty The Lucky.

I’m not sure if 18 months probation, two “safty” vidios and one “be cautious to your neighbors” vidio is “getting it right” Jerry. 

Sparky, just remember the manners grandma taught you and the sage advice about two eyes, two ears and one mouth. Youo’ll find a lot of information, advice and encouragement here

I watch a lot of Black Bear forge videos. JLPSERVICES, Joey Van der stieg, make excellent videos they are also members here. You could learn a lot from them also the abana curriculum is a great resource you should check them out if you haven't already.

Pnut

There is a very full list of blacksmith videos and 'teachers'  that the membership recommends.

Try this

Members are encouraged to add other names to the list.

Thanks to JHCC  for compiling the list.

SLAG.

12 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

I’m not sure if 18 months probation, two “safty” vidios and one “be cautious to your neighbors” vidio is “getting it right” Jerry. 

Oh not that part, authorities went way too light on him, I don't think he learns from mistakes unless they REALLY hurt. By get it right I meant finally getting the neighbors to make the call.

When I was doing really dangerous stuff I did it in the middle of a big sand wash better than a mile from the closest house. Not in the driveway. 

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Nor did we put it on YouTube so as to preserve the evidence for all time. Only mistake I made was not silencing my partner in crime Dan Helms.

Lucky for us the selfie hadn't been invented yet though we did have a super 8 movie camera and documented a couple. No idea what happened to the films though. Good thing.

Where we got busted was by underestimating one clever . . . mistake. We were wrong that a 10' weather balloon filled with oxy acet wouldn't make a BANG 10 times bigger than a 1' balloon. Just a couple miles and 5,000' altitude wasn't far enough to keep from breaking windows.

It made the news that evening and while watching Dad asked the room, "Think they learned their lesson?" When nobody replied he cocked an eye at me. Gravity on my side of the couch went way up my head nodded a little. 

We all agreed little experiments on another dry wash was a good idea. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

On 7/25/2019 at 4:22 AM, pnut said:

that dude is dangerous and I'm surprised he hasn't seriously hurt himself or someone else.

It came true. Unfortunately The King of Random died from a paragliding accident. Even though his videos weren't good examples, I liked his personality and it was pretty good entertainment. 

5 hours ago, Awrksmokey said:

King of Random died

Just a few days ago too. I think this is as close as I've ever followed him. Not that I wished him ill I just thought he encouraged folk to take unnecessary chances. 

Frosty The Lucky.

That accident happed just up the road from me.

10 million subscribers on his Youtube channel and a merchandise website= he was a very wealthy individual.

A friend's kid has around 1.9 million subscribers and he is averaging $500,000 a year now.

I have only subscribed to a couple of channels myself, none blacksmithing related (Ask a mortician, Seeker Land and a couple of car repair) But it shows how influential Youtube has become. If you can catch that lightning in a bottle you can do very well.

SPARKY_WOLF,

your Fisher has a number on the base, that is the weight. 5=50# 7=70# Mine has the full weight marked on it 260#. Great anvils, and very quiet. Even with it as quiet as it is I still wear ear plugs. My advice to you is protect your hearing now. If your ears ring you have done permanent damage that is irreversible. Over time it ads up until it no longer fades away. This condition is called tinnitus. A good rule is if you are talking to someone who is 2 feet away and you have to raise your voice, you need hearing protection.

Get a good pair of safety glasses and wear them. Glass eyes don't work as well as the ones you have now.

Focus on the basics now - hammer control.  Make round rod square, then back to round. Make square tapers, and round tapers. Stuff like that. ABANA has some good tutorials. Also look up to see if you have a local chapter close. The California Blacksmiths Association is one to check out. You learn faster from someone than by yourself.

Buying charcoal is expensive,  especially when you can get all the wood you need for free. You can make your own charcoal, use wood chunks as is, or do like Thomas Powers does and have a fire next to the forge and scoop the coals into the forge as needed. Where do you get free wood? Broken pallets, construction sites- ask them first, people cleaning yards/garages/businesses, and tree pruning companies. If you have a truss or pallet manufacturer they generate literal tons of perfect scraps.  Avoid plywood, particle board, OSB, and painted wood.

I was around your age when my Dad and I got started back in the late 70's. If you stick with it, it can be a fun hobby, and possible career.