I Forge Iron

Painted My Anvil

So I put a fresh coat of paint on my 161# Peter Wright. Should have got the picture from the other side since this is the side with the droop in the face. My girlfriend picked the color, I like it. I might re do it with some purple on it too at some point

2019-04-18.jpg

Not bad, at least you didn't pick industrial gray or that pale blue color carefully formulated to drive normal folks psychotic.

If anybody gives you grief, let me know so you and I can have a good laugh. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, I wanted something bright. Something not many would do, also if it ever gets stolen if there's any of the paint left it will be easy to identify, I painted the bottom and made sure to get some inside the holes it was held to forge with.

If anyone laughs I'll just hand 'em the hammer and ask them to make me something instead of the other way around. lol

An old acquaintance of mine started out painting his hand tools Pepto Bismal pink to keep them from growing legs. When I met him everything: dump truck, loader, dozer, road grader, shovel, rake, even his house was Pepto Bismal pink. What started out as a way to keep his tools turned into a good way to track employees and keep track of the jobs. The story behind the pink house is another story and a great example of one of the things that made Mike Mike. Oh okay a hint, something Mike was known for saying was, "I have plenty of nose."

Frosty The Lucky.

Funny how the neighborhood busybody tends to get that kind of reaction with their pronouncements. It's the essence of the story behind Mike's pink house and lack trees screening the view for his next door neighbor. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm thinking about taking some of that blue tack stuff and where it says Peter wright and has the numbers filling it in and then painting around it so the numbers and stuff really pop. I don't know why I didn't think of that already.

Greetings P3ressure,

Pretty color however there are very few spots on my anvils that I don’t use to form metal . A nice new paint job wouldn’t last long and it would look like a spotted leopard.  Pink highlights would be cool in the lettering and weights.

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

I was thinking the grape purple that rust-oleum sells. Purple is my favorite color, like a royal deep purple. I think the brighter one would look better though since it's already bright with the blue.

Also, I mainly did it for rust prevention since I've been leaving it outside. I didn't want to have to lather the entire anvil in oil every time I used it, now I can just oil the face and be good.

"..for rust prevention since I've been leaving it outside"

I had this problem with an outdoor anvil,  an antique like yours. The pitting was bothersome, and oil only seemed to slow down the pitting process. I eventually just replaced it with a large train track anvil, and now I don't worry about what happens outside. The good anvils stay inside now.

One reason I want to start making my propane forge, I think I'd be aloud to use it in the garage, at least near the door. I've wanted to ask if I'd be able to make a chimney to run through the skylight or something. It's my neighbors garage so I don't want to get soot on everything.