I Forge Iron

Bronze axe with wolf head poll

Thought I'd share some of what's been keeping me busy. This is a bronze axe forged by hand from 6" of 1"sq. 655 bronze with a wolf head pommel for an art show. So besides work keeping me busy at work I'm going back into work on days off doing stuff like this:

bronzeaxeforged.jpg

bronzeaxeforged2.jpg

bronzeaxewolfhead.jpg

bronzeaxewolfheadinhand.jpg

Thank y'all. I really like working with bronze. I forgot how much of a pleasure it is. When I started a second one I realized I can figure out a cat head and plan on doing a leopard version. I'll do a panther head in steel first, then bronze with the spotted texturing. Need to work out the cat head process first though at leisure. 

Yeah wolf head war hammers are on my list Frosty. Have a mild steel axe with (don't remember if it's xl leaf spring or known 5160, sparked and acted like 5160 so will be treated as such, lol) bit to forge weld with a wolf head pommel to finish first. After a couple more bronze pieces. I normally use known steel for weapons but needed a large piece so think it came off a semi.

• 4 weeks later...

I took a class with Darryl Nelson on animal head making. Is how I learned wolf heads. From this I think I can do a cats head with some differences flatter face, shorter muzzle, etc.  There are a couple small wolf head making articles out there, While at work I'll see if I can remember where I saw them. One or two of which are from people who took Darryl's class.

That is who I learned wolf heads from. From looking at the pictures and descriptions he does things a little different now. Main thing is the preform. Which is the 3 sided taper, then the 3 sided shoulder, chamfer the edges. From there V the forehead a little, raise the ears, use ball fuller and sink the inner ear, do mouth around the chamfer, do the ruff underneath, split upper lip, do nose, then last set eyes in.

That is sort of a oversimplification but it in a nutshell.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you. I've looked and can't seem to find anything other then my notes. I know there are a couple small articles out and about on the wolf heads. I really did enjoy his class. Once upon a time after watching one of his demo's I figured out that he was doing the projects at a speed of 32 times faster then me.Yes I went and got that exact with it.