I Forge Iron

How can I bring down the decibels and vibrations?

TheoRockNazz

Hi gang!

I am happy to say I am moving into a newer and better shop soon, but for the first time will have to try and find a way to bring the noise and vibrations down.

A little information on the shop and me: I run a small teaching forge in Brooklyn that focuses entirely on knives and swords. Because of size constraints and for safety we have no more than four students at a time, each usually working on their own unique projects. For noise making we have two 2x72 grinders, a roller, an AnYang press, three anvils, two forges, and a partridge in a pear tree.
No powerhammers in our future.

So the new place is located inside Industry City, and they had some minor concerns about sound and vibration for the floors above us (we are on the ground floor, which is solid concrete with no basement).

I know about the rubber pads under anvils, but any other recommendations?

Theo

Aside from the things that've been discussed to death on quieting an anvil, the only other thing I could think of would be to take some of the noisier items (compressors, pumps) and build a closet around them.  Sort of the same thing for the grinders (make a grinding room, has the advantage of containing the dust), make a wall and ceiling with staggered studs, fill with dense (like rockwool) insulation.  There are much spendier ways to do it, but that's a more affordable option.

What HojPoj said. You might also (budget permitting) look into having an insulating contractor spray a layer of sound- and fire-proofing foam over your ceilings or install a layer of rock wool above a dropped ceiling of acoustic tile.

One idea would be to look into acoustic panels or other sound deadening bariers. There are many types out there. Just for obvious reasons be careful what you choose for what area. Many are cloth or foam and would not be suitable in certain areas of a workshop. Isolating barriers such as walls with sound deadning insulation. A bit of searching for the right products, and you should find some that are heat and flame resistant. 

Soften any hard surfaces and walls to absorb rather than reflect sounds. Acoustic foam applied to any hidden ceiling space would help. Consider hanging banners (think short welding blankets) from the ceiling in random patterns. These can trap sounds from being reflected around the room.

Theo,

The other comments, above,  have covered most sound reducing measures.

Permit me to add several additional suggestions.

Wood floors, transmit less sound and vibrations than concrete.  (fire resistant or proof wood is available).

Walls can be draped/attached with sound absorbing carpet or other suitable material.

Double "storm" windows will help isolate sound on the other sound. (many such windows have a vacuum between the inner and outer panes. .Sound deadening is a desirable feature of up-scale restaurants.

Restaurant designers are knowledgeable  and experienced contending with potential noise problems.

Consulting them is a good for idea for noise reduction in general.

You might be able to swap one of your knives for a consultation, and probably save a lot of money.

Good luck with your new shop. 

SLAG.

A consultant is about as close to a sure bet as you'll find. however, you didn't list anything that's very loud nor is vibration going to conduct through your concrete floor to floors above you. 2" x 72" grinders aren't very loud, I listen to the radio over mine. 

Sand box stands will kill ANY vibration and mute the rig from your anvils. Put the grinders on wood benches not touching a wall.

A folding welding screen makes a decent sound barrier and can be folded to get out of the way. They're nonflammable unless you really try to light them and then the flame isn't self supporting. Just between the close wall and the action will go a long way.

The roll and press only make motor/pump noise so long as the valves & fittings don't squeal. If they do change out for larger valves and fittings, they'll stop squealing and effcicency will improve. 

Fire retardent acoustic paneling and ceiling tiles are off the shelf as are the spacers if dead air space is necessary to quieten things enough. 

For safety heat treat should get it's own space closed off and heavily ventilated. Maybe put the forges in the same space and just close the door to do the SMOKY stuff.

And all that's just my opinion, experience or not it's opinion, FWIW. Expert advice is best.

Congrats on the move, I think I'm safe assuming it's a better space. :) I LOVE safe assumptions!

Frosty The Lucky.