I Forge Iron

New Anvil radius the edges, how much

Leave the anvil as is and make a hardie tool that has the radius you are considering.  In fact make several, each with a different radius. In a year (2000 hours) you can tell by the wear on the hardie tools which radius you use most. THAT will be the radius to put on the anvil ONLY IF you do a lot of that type work and plan to continue to do that work in the future.

Just be sure you do not do anything that you want to undo later. It is your anvil and you may modify it s you wish.

My anvils have several radii all over. I know on the old one pretty much where what radius is, on the new one not so much yet. I don't think I could work with one uniform radius all over. It would look better though. 

Mvg Bart 

As I use old anvils I've never had to grind a radius on a sharp edge.  Now at times I have been known to switch from one anvil to another as I like the radius on it better for a particularly task...

I'm thinking of making a 4 radius hardy block just to show students how to get around an anvil's worn edges.  Picked up the 16# block at the fleamarket a couple of weekends ago for US$2 Now just wondering if I should go 90 deg, 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" or 1/8",1/4", 3/8", 1/2" radii

Or punch and drift a square hole in it and make a drop in hardy stem and make it so you can flip it over and have 8 different edges to use!  Its 4.75"x4.75"x2.5"

blockunddish.jpg.77925742aab375f1141d006e85394a61.jpg