• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Big THANK YOU to Frosty for the crap on my tidy forge wall

All funny things aside. The start up when off without a  hitch ( less 2 small fitting leaks, nothing a wrench didn't fix).

Very proud of this project.  It was way out of my wheelhouse when I  first decided to build. But with some deep research and a bit of hard work, it turned out as I had envisioned. 

The pump is still set at factory spec.(1500 psi) I will leave it there until I get use to the press.

Bubba this is definitely a labor changer! 

Played with it all day today. Going to take some time and practice to get a good feel for it. Managed to ruin a billet of Damascus I had started by hand a while back. Was all good until I tried folding it over, instead of cutting, grinding,cleaning, then welding. Lesson learned!

I'll keep an eye out.

My ISP is a little froggy right now. Some downloads don't, or come in hours or next day late. Then I keep getting email several times.  Gee, I wonder why their phone is always so busy? -_-

Frosty The Lucky.

Spinach can crush results for Frosty. Hope your computer gets well soon. You are missing some great action shots!

I cleaned most of the green goo of the wall, but I had to leave a little...just cause.

Glad it spit out the back!

20190417_163518.jpg

20190417_163527.jpg

20190417_163536.jpg

Thank you Peppie, that is a glorious endorsement of it's name! I'm grateful PopEye is safety conscious in where he demonstrated his trademark for you. He definately AM what he AM!

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Now to add an air whistle to get a toot toot as a safety alert when it's in use.

ALA Chris Ray's shop air hammer work station? :)

Chris rigged it with one of those a party favors that unrolled with a fluttery tassel thingy on the exhaust valve on his. The video may even still be available on his website. Chris RAY was an awesome artist and all time MASTER punster, one of THE most notable of an array of notable world class artists that hung out on the old and Defunct, "Artmetal" email list. I still miss him as close dear friend. I'll have to ask Andy about the archive.

Chris Ray passed away THE day, almost simultaneously with when  I got the diagnosis I was type II diabetic. Deb snapped the picture I have up on my IforgeIron header when She called to tell me the news. I weighed 126 lbs and was suffering Ketoacidosis. I was suffering out of control diabetes. BSs I don't recall but my AIC was in the 600s

My old sign email off was: 

"Jerry Frosty, Frost, Maker of things.

If it ain't Forged it ain't REAL.

Wrought iron is.

The FrostWorks."

It's still the current moto on my card

Man you REALLY triggered some wonderful old memories Thomas.

(Good times.  siiiiigh) Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

TY Frosty,  Going to keep this first attempt simple, drill some holes in it for a rain drop. Need to work on building some dies for the press. Now that I have really used it,  I have a much better understanding of what I need,  for what I want to do

• 2 weeks later...

Update....

I designed the press with an 8" throw, I built the press with 10" between the dies, so as to have room for a punch system in the future.

Many press owners have stated the it is better to not extend the shaft to full length. So I started building my dies on a platform to keep approximately 1/2 of the shaft buried in the cylinder. After building 6 different platforms, I realized that I am a true idiot! It's a wonder I designed and built this press.

I have just finished building a couple of platforms to accept, and quick change the dies. This method will save me 28" of welding bead, not to mention the added material and time.

You can research until the cows come home. But NOTHING compares to experience. After using my press for the past six weeks or so, I have realized there are going to be some major changes on the next build!

20190615_164941.jpg