I Forge Iron

Common Basic Mistakes That Beginners Should Avoid

Out here we have problems with abandoned mine shafts.  Not much helps if you drop down one---except having someone with you still out on top.  (And do NOT investigate boxes of unused dynamite if you find one in an abandoned mine---FLEE and report it to authorities!)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill: A laser pointer might work to get attention, especially if they're searching. I wondered about SOS myself and asked a few youngsters. Most knew SOS and dit dit dit dot dot dot . A couple said of COURSE they know what sos means and the morse code, they've seen the Atomic Beam flashlight commercial. DUH!

I bought one on sale up here and LOVED that flashlight except you couldn't just turn it on and off, you had to cycle through all the settings. I don't need a dimmer light, I don't need a tactical flashy light, don't need it flashing SOS and don't need an area light. EVERY STINKING TIME I NEED A FLASHLIGHT!

It has one push button switch which wears out pretty quickly because you have to push it 6 times to turn it off. Otherwise I loved it, it was REALLY bright, you can focus to a pretty narrow beam or pan it to pretty wide. The rest is useless bells and whistle junk.

Deb and I have probably 2-3 of those super bright LED flashlights in each vehicle and if I were hitting the bush I'd bring a couple, they're small and can be seen for miles. If I can just turn it on and off I know SOS in morse. It's also been proven searchers will come see if you need help if you signal OSO by mistake.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a funny commercial I have two Chocolate Labs so I can definitely relate . You should see us trying to pick up branches and sticks in the yard after a storm . We throw them in the woods and the dogs bring them back ! We even try to throw them when they aren't looking but you just can't beat the nose , it reminds me of the 3 stooges doing a job lol .

I think the 3 stooges must've studied labs. I love the big goof balls. Of course I've never owned one myself so it's kind of loving the grand kids you can spoil them and turn the problems back over to their parents. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Yea they are like having kids especially our puppy if you want to call a 100 lbs year old a puppy , but he is trust me ! But I know what you mean frosty I kept saying "what the xxxx were we thinking"  after having to take him out to pee every two hours all night long ! It's all good now but I wasn't a happy camper for a month or two it was like having a baby again lol 

Oh well just got another point guess I was bad but never considered H*** a bad word . If it had been the F word I would understand and agree ! I guess I need the new George Carlin list of the 7 words you cant say on the forum lol. JSMH Yes I'm being sarcastic ! :rolleyes: But it's your little sand box so I will attempt do better but I was a construction worker for 45 years not a priest and sometimes "crap" happens ! 

Having to clean up after your dogs reminds me of a story

When a lady's son was going on 10 years old she started to be bothered he didn't look anything like his parents.

Sooo, she had a DNA test done and it turned out that no, he wasn't related to either of them.

She's telling her husband who is unperturbed and she gets exasperated with him about it.

I'm not surprised at all. Remember when we were leaving the hospital and he pooped?

You said take him back in and change him, so I changed him for a clean one.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Wise man say, do not water quench when attempting san mai with saw blade and 1084.  Stupid man ignore wise man... now has two pieces of scrap instead of one.

First time back in the forge in eight months after Covid, a coma, COPD and diabetes.  Been fun.  But I can now swing a hammer again.

Ooops! Lesson learned? Good, now clean up the Not Scrap, weld them into a billet, fold repeat and forge a damascus blade. Hmmm?

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. Bob Ross

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Ben; what type of Diabetes?  I've had LADA sometimes called type 1.5 for 20 years now and am on the pump.  In blacksmithing I mainly have to watch out to stay hydrated and tone down my insulin due to the extra exercise---why the pump is handy!

When bladesmithing I don't like to have an open water container in my smithy!  Blades will go through the most Rococo shenanigans to commit suicide in a water bucket.   Keeps one from making absent minded mistakes too.

I think that the open slack tub is more a leftover from when 90% of general smithing was using very low carbon wrought iron and quenching it had no effect and so was a handly way to cool a piece.  Nowadays most stuff would be better off normalized than quenched!

A quench tub is a good way to stop burns from getting worse. There's nothing like a HOT bit of slag or hot cut trimming dropping in an open top boot to do you a severe mischief. You can stick your foot or gloved hand in the slack tub to cool the piece and stop the burn from penetrating more deeply into YOU.

Other than that, they're good for keeping my tong reins cool or wetting a rag to keep heat from conducting down the stock so it's cool enough to hold.

A couple drops of garlic oil will prevent it from becoming a mosquito nursery.

Frosty The Lucky.

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

Ooops! Lesson learned? Good, now clean up the Not Scrap, weld them into a billet, fold repeat and forge a damascus blade. Hmmm?

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. Bob Ross

Frosty The Lucky.

Hmmm... well, I think I'll give that a go.  I got my new el cheapo flux welder, and still have a LOT of the saw blade and 1084 left... will weld it together and give it a go.  I'll update early next week after I figure out what it did.

Thanks Frosty.

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Hi Ben; what type of Diabetes?  I've had LADA sometimes called type 1.5 for 20 years now and am on the pump.  In blacksmithing I mainly have to watch out to stay hydrated and tone down my insulin due to the extra exercise---why the pump is handy!

When bladesmithing I don't like to have an open water container in my smithy!  Blades will go through the most Rococo shenanigans to commit suicide in a water bucket.   Keeps one from making absent minded mistakes too.

I think that the open slack tub is more a leftover from when 90% of general smithing was using very low carbon wrought iron and quenching it had no effect and so was a handly way to cool a piece.  Nowadays most stuff would be better off normalized than quenched!

Hey Thomas.  Type 2 diabetes.  Doctor was surprised I woke up from the coma.  My blood sugar was 1694 when I went off the rails.

Gonna move the slack tub and move it.   I am just getting back up to it, but am going to get better.  Knocking the rust off and working on building the stamina up again.  Getting old sucks.

I'm Type II myself. WOW, a BG of 1694 puts you in the lucky to be alive club! Welcome aboard, glad you made it.

My sign off, "Frosty The Lucky." is the product of surviving a severe traumatic brain injury.

Getting old is a privilege, I revel in every Lucky day. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Ben, I am a Type 2 diabetic too as a result of Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam.  In the last 16 months I have been able to bring down my daily blood sugar and A1c to near normal levels through diet and my wife's help.  It has taken a little adjustment but I feel like I am still eating well.  Also, I have lost about 25 pounds and feel very well.

If you want any details PM me.  I don't want to bore everyone here with medical stuff.

I join Frosty in welcoming you back.  That is the highest blood sugar that I have ever heard of.

George

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

George,

You are Not boring us with your medical details. I understand that it was to support a fellow member.

A lot of us have type two diabetes, and those details are interesting for at least us and i suspect others on the forum.

Regards,

SLAG. 

5 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Ben, I am a Type 2 diabetic too as a result of Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam.   I have been able to bring down my daily blood sugar and A1c to near normal levels through diet and my wife's help. 

First to Frosty, trust me, I'm not so much complaining.  I have few friends who made it this far, and I am glad for every day I am not a worm buffet.

The doctors said that was the highest blood sugar he had seen someone wake up from.  Sometimes we get lucky, other times we are just part timex, and take a licking and keep on ticking.

I currently have my blood sugar and A1C under control to the point where I am not on a daily insulin shot, and control it mostly through diet.  I'll go toe to toe with a grizzly bear, but when the Mrs says 'this is how it's gonna be done'... well, that's how it is gonna be done.

I may wear the pants, but I don't run the carnival.  My biggest question, aside from colors of metal for forge welding and such?  What do you do for your sweet tooth?  I am sick to death of not having sweets beyond Werther's sugar free hard candies. 

I tried Russell Stovers and that stuff.. it may be sugar free but the dairy in it jacked me up and I want candy!!

Wow and I get upset when mine hits 120 . I can keep it around 114 with meds but your numbers were off the charts , glad you made it back my friend .

Oh as for putting my boot in a bucket of water when slag or spark went down my boot , I probably would have done it instead of taking the pain while welding " you can never get a work boot off before it cools I be tried lol" ! But oh I can just hear the guys busting on me now, esp walking around with one wet boot in the  shop :lol::lol::D

"I've tried" darn phone :angry:

I crave sweets myself but have gradually brought it to bearable levels. I use a lot of Splenda where sweet is called for.

The TBI altered my sense of smell and taste, almost nothing tastes like it used to. Except sweets, maple syrup, chocolate, etc. all taste like they should. It makes it really hard not to have a little now and then. I've been adding Splenda to my iced tea for 20 years now. I NEVER added anything to iced tea my whole life till the TBI but it helps ease the craving for sweets.

At least I still drink my coffee black. But I haven't had an espresso in 20 years either, I even have a maker . . . on a shelf in the basement. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, sweets are an issue.  I do have a sweet tooth, always have, my wife says it is my northern European heritage.  The trick I have used is to spend my carbs on high quality stuff.  A single small semi-sweet dark chocolate bar doesn't have as many carbs as a much larger amount of cheap chocolate.  "Life is too short to eat cheap chocolate." Also, "fruit is your friend."  More "natural" sweeteners such honey, agave syrup, etc. have a lower glycemic index than white cane or beet sugar.  Read the nutrition labels and choose the least bad product.

Also, avoid fats.  That has to do with how the liver breaks things down.  It will preferentially process fats first which go to the cells and then when the carbs get processed the cells say, "no, thanks, I'm already full up." which then drives up the blood sugar.  So, bacon is the devil's meat and say no to the deep fryer.  This is where cheap beef with less fat is a good thing.

Hang in there guys, with some will power we can live out our time here healthy and happy.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I'll have to ask my endocrynologist about that take on fats George, it's a lot different than I learned. As I recall by time sugars are being processed in the liver your blood has what it can process. Sugar is stored in the liver for quick release say during an adrenaline reaction when the muscles need lots of fuel quickly or if your blood sugar drops dangerously low which happens to me if I'm not careful.

What learned was fats and proteins take longer to digest and the digestive system slows down absorption over all which also slows sugar absorption and flattens blood sugar spikes and crashes. 

Like I say, I'll ask next time we talk, I keep a notebook of things to talk about my  memory isn't reliable enough to remember.

Frosty The Lucky.