I Forge Iron

So I moved my forge out of the ground

Scotty30815

Now for other newbies. Fire brick was free for me had it for years local college got rid of a pottery program. But have seen it $1 a brick for industrial use...fuel is mainly free pallets(no treated)...hair dryer was maybe $10 at family dollar...table was free on side of the road. Hammer was a $7.99 harbor freight hammer. Anvil was free as well...also have a piece of railroad track that was free would have made a decent anvil...no more excuses if ya wanna hammer red hot metal find a way

20181112_154025_HDR.jpg

It always amazes me how much can be done with so little. Now with all that money you saved you might think about investing in some steel toed boots. I require everyone coming near my forge to have closed toe shoes, thongs on your feet is just asking for a hot foot. The other kind of thong is optional, as long as you wear proper protective gear over it

I can't judge you too much, I did the same thing. What stopped me from wearing the wrong shoes was when i dropped some red hot metal on my sneakers. The metal didn't touch my feet, but the synthetic material melted  on to my foot and left one of the worse burns I've ever had. Ever since then it's been leather boots in the shop for me

See thats alot more constructive...a quick google search explained what a spat was...guess a wood working project in the near future...thinking along the lines of the wooden cogs they used to wear in holland minus the bottom part...

Actually have a 100% cotton shirt that was going to be cut up for char cloth...cut in half and each half folded in half might just work...

There is a blacksmith in Pennsylvania that wears wooden shoes in his shop. Went so far as to nail steel attachments to the bottom of the wooden shoes for longer wear. 

Spats can be made from many materials, as long as they protect the feet. Leather can be found in many places, purses, skirts, chairs, couches, hides, etc. An old pair of much too large shoes or boots can cut and the top half of the shoe made into a serviceable pair of spats.

Glenn,

Scrap leather is a good resource for dynamic spats.

An alternative is the scrap bin at leather craft stores. For example Tandy Leather company has bins of leather scraps, cut-offs, etc.

Mr. Dragon is correct. An old leather purse will supply one with a wealth of leather.  They can cheaply be bought in Goodwill stores, St. Vincent de Paul or other thrift stores

They are not very expensive.

SLAG.

Another good source for leather -- if inconsistent in availability and quality -- is trash day. If you see someone's put a leather sofa out in the trash, slice off the back -- that'll give you enough for an apron, spats, and a few other bits and pieces as well. Just make sure that it's real leather and not "pleather". The kind with a slick finish will smell bad if it contacts something hot, but the underlying animal material should hold up.